For Rent in 44319>Question Details

Phill & Lyn…, Renter in Akron, OH

I feel someone using the name of Michael Kurtz 119 Magua Dr Akron Oh 44319 could be possibly trying to scam us. Who do we report this to?

Asked by Phill & Lyn Timms, Akron, OH Mon Feb 17, 2014

Saw an ad on trulia to rent a home for $700 located at 119 Magua Dr. 44319. Sounded to good to be true, but left a message and email to get more info.
This person Michael Kurtz answered back 2 days later with a line that it's very much available for lease, though he and his family are out of state. He said he initially had it for sale. When we saw the "rent" ad he had only had it on your sight Feb. 14th for a couple hours when we responded.Then it was removed the next morning.
The old saying if it sounds TO GOOD it probably isn't..... so where from here?..We're looking to lease and not sure to trust this site.

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in 44319

Answers

3
Scams do exist, therefore always use caution and always verify ownership before exchanging any money. As to reporting possible scams, you could consider flagging the listing, you could consider the local authorities; also see link for helpful information...
http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2009/05/spotti…
Phil & Lyn,
Any site that allows anyone to post listings is subject to these scammers. I've had listings of mine cloned and posted for rent on Craigslist. Fortunately someone drove to the house and called me from my sign rather than the scammer. We flagged the listing immediately and got it removed.
Your best bet for safety is to deal with a local property management company or agent who works with rentals. Nothing may be 100% safe, but your odds are much better this way.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 17, 2014
Thank-you!
Flag Mon Feb 17, 2014
Hi, Phyll & Lyn. Scammers have become more and more sophisticated in their attempts to obtain fraudulent rent on homes listed for sale. I am very familiar with the area you are referencing and would be happy to set you up on an MLS search that will deliver a link with up-to-date, accurate information on rentals available matching your criteria. Feel free to contact me if you'd like some assistance in your search.