I currently have a Section 8 Voucher in Stanly County and I am really intrested in moving to Wake County, what do I need to do?

Asked by New Beginnings, Raleigh, NC Tue Feb 16, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Deborah Mill…, Agent, Durham, NC
Wed Feb 17, 2010
I found this answer on another State's Website (it is a federal program) and just copied and pasted it for you here. I do suggest that you check with the issuing agency, and call the contact that provided you with your voucher as they state and let them know where you would like to move. It states that also below in Step 1.

"Families with Section 8 vouchers can move anywhere in the United States where there is a Section 8 program. This is called "portability." Portability allows families to move to areas with better jobs or schools, close to family members, or anywhere else they choose to live.

You can take your Section 8 voucher with you when you move if you follow these rules:

•You must meet the terms of your current lease and give your landlord proper notice.

•You must move to a city/town with a Section 8 program.

•If you are using your voucher for the first time, you must meet the income limits of the city or town where you are moving.

•If you are using your voucher for the first time and you are not a resident of the city or town where you got your voucher, you may be required to live in Massachusetts for one year before moving out of state.

These are the steps involved:

1.You should notify the housing agency that gave you the voucher and tell them where you want to move.

2.If you are already using your voucher, your housing agency will review your lease to make sure that you are allowed to move.

3.Your housing agency will contact the housing agency in the city or town where you are moving and check to see that you are eligible to move into that community. If you are eligible, your housing agency will send a copy of your voucher and all the necessary documents to your new housing agency.

4.You should call your new housing agency to schedule an appointment. The agency may ask you to bring proof of income or other documents. If everything is in order, the agency will give you a new Section 8 voucher to use in their jurisdiction. The voucher will follow the rules of the new housing agency. The number of bedrooms you can get, how much rent you can pay, and rules about extensions may be different from your old voucher.

5.When you find a place to rent, your new housing agency will do the inspection and paperwork, make rent payments to your landlord."

I hope this is helpful.

Deborah Rigsbee Miller, Real Estate Broker, ESA
Coldwell Banker, HPW - Durham, NC
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more