I am getting ready to rent my condo ( first time landlord) and I would like to know how much I need to ask for a pet deposit.renter has a 40 lb dog.

Asked by Joyce, Northwest Torrance, Torrance, CA Tue Jun 28, 2011

I am getting ready to rent my condo however I need to have the renter pay a pet deposit. I am not sure how much money I need to ask for pet deposit ( Its a 40 lb dog,). Please help.

Answers

12
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Tue Jun 28, 2011
Take lots of pictures to note the current condition now! I have a good form called "Move In / Move Out" that you could use, it's a great way to go through the entire place with your new tenant so you can both agree on the current condition.

Later when the tenant goes to move out, you check mark on the same form & if there are scratches or tears or other negative items that weren't there before you can say "See, this wasn't there before, here's the proof".

Email me directly if you'd like me to send it to you.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
Akil Walker, Agent, Upper Marlboro, MD
Wed Jun 29, 2011
Hello Joyce,

The pet deposit is at your discretion . Typically, the deposit is anywhere from $250 to $500. I am assuming the condo association allows pets. And like the previous answers, you could discuss possibly charging a little more for rent to adjust for the possible pet wear and tea
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Wed Jun 29, 2011
Dear Joyce,

Not everyone asks for a "pet deposit" with rentals. It really depends upon the situation. If the dog is well trained and housebroken they likely will cause little damage. Some areas are very "pet friendly" and people who lease will have pets, it just comes with the territory.
Gerard Carney, Agent, Spring Hill, FL
Tue Jun 28, 2011
Your property manager should be able to answer that question for you!
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Tue Jun 28, 2011
It's pretty much up to you. There really isn't any cast in concrete protocol. However, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to interview the dog. I normally require first and last plus a half months security, damage, cleaning deposit. If an animal is involved I interview the animal and charge accordingly.
Yumi Mandt-R…, Agent, Culver City, CA
Tue Jun 28, 2011
Hi Joyce,

I usually charge about $500. Making the rent higher is OK if the market can take the higher rent. If people can not pay than you will have a smaller pool of people to choose from. It is true, pets will damage more and leave the scent of pets. What I do is to say I would consider pets depending on the pet. Just use your common sense, you know puppies are going to chew more things. Pets that shed can leave more fur behind and people with allergy will have trouble with that. There are dogs that do not shed. I would adjust the pet deposit accordingly, but minimum $500. Good luck!
Shelly Goren…, , California
Tue Jun 28, 2011
Having a higher rent for pets rather than taking a higher deposit or "pet fee" is a better way to go. You don't have to argue the "pet fee" when the lease expires. You have the extra money to replace or repair pet and other damages.
scott farmer, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Jun 28, 2011
Around the Phoenix metro area I see about $250 to $450. Keep in mind you can require the tenant to get insurance. No matter what amount you collect for the deposit it won't ever be enough to cover the damage that a pet can cause to a property. For your own protection you should also check with your insurance carrier about unacceptable breeds such as Chows and Pit Bulls which you may want to exclude. You may not charge a pet deposit for assistive animal by law.
Jessica Acker, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Tue Jun 28, 2011
I manage and rent individual condominium units all the time. I require a dog deposit of $500, a signed pet agreement, a photo of the pet and proof of liability insurance in the event of a dog bite.

Jessica M. Acker
Wellman Realty Company
Wellman Property Management, Inc.
1415 Stanford St., Suite #4| Santa Monica, CA 90404
Direct: (310) 828 - 3132 Fax: (310) 829 – 2079
Email: Jessica@wellmanproperties.com
DRE #01894323
Rich Homer, Agent, NAPLES, FL
Tue Jun 28, 2011
Expect to replace your carpets.
Shane Milne, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, South Jordan, UT
Tue Jun 28, 2011
Good advice Emily, as tenants we took pictures of everything right after we moved in for the same reason.
Tue Jun 28, 2011
We paid an extra $500 deposit each for our two cats - 12lbs & 18lbs.