Having problems finding a place to live due to a prior eviction that is in collections.

Asked by Jodi, 80214 Wed Oct 12, 2011

list of rentals in Lakewood with no credit check or will take larger deposit to quailfy

Answers

9
Consty.roo, Home Buyer, Denver, CO
Sun Dec 3, 2017
We have been evicted we always pay on time we need a place ?
I'm confused. Typically an eviction is because the tenant failed to pay their rent. Is your eviction for a different reason such as damage or theft? If yes, landlords can contact your previous landlord to ask questions about your rental history.
Flag Sun Dec 3, 2017
Ebony johnson, Renter, 46143
Wed Oct 11, 2017
Im in need of a 2-3 br for my daughter and I. I have a previous eviction
Lakeyascrugg…, Home Buyer, Denver, CO
Wed Jun 7, 2017
I am currently looking for a 2 bedroom I immediately. But due to my evictions I can't seem to find a place for me and my three children
G5world2017, Home Buyer, Denver, CO
Tue Mar 7, 2017
I am having no luck finding a place to rent. I have one eviction and it has been a nightmare due to a shady landlord that was never home. ugh...
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Fri Apr 27, 2012
Jodi,
If the private landlord doesn't work, you might have to bite the bullet and pay a larger deposit. The deposit is the landlord's security that you will be a responsible tenant. If you were evicted, property management companies will approve someone else in line for an apartment who has not given a landlord a problem.
Robert McGui…, Agent, Denver, CO
Wed Nov 30, 2011
Jodi,

I agree with the answers below. It will be difficult to get a rental with an established property manager due to the prior eviction. You will be better off responding to a private landlord. The only problem is that rentals are at such a premium now the best applicants get in first. It might be a good idea to get a roommate or a co-signer to help with the qualification. Best of success to you.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
1776 S. Jackson St. #412
Denver CO 80210
Marina Bay, Agent, Greenwood Village, CO
Wed Oct 12, 2011
Jodi, try a private landlord, not a management company. There are private property owners out there who do not run credit checks and have more relaxed standards to leasing in general. The best place to find them is Craigslist. Call them and ask if they check credit. I recommend being honest and upfront though regarding your situation. Good luck!
David Janis, Agent, Boulder, CO
Wed Oct 12, 2011
Hi Jodi,

It will definitely take some legwork on your part to get this done. I would expect to either pay 3-4 months security deposit or find a small inexperienced property owner that won't run a credit check. Maybe a co-signer if you can find one will help as well.

Spend a couple of hours on the phone calling people and talking to them.
Berenice Bej…, Agent, Denver, CO
Wed Oct 12, 2011
It's always difficult but not impossible. The big management companies will usually charge you a higher security deposit. As for the collection company you can probably negotiate a settlement; often times 50 cent per the dollar.