Eviction a year ago for a college apt will it show on my background and credit report? I need a place bad.

Asked by Chelsea Elliott, Austin, TX Sun May 12, 2013

I have a eviction for a student apartment. It will be a year in June. Will it show up on my credit? I need an apartment or duplex asap. I dont make much but I do work because I am currently a cosmetology student. I checked my credit report and it wasn't on there. What can I do?

Answers

5
Amanda , Renter, 92507
Fri Jun 2, 2017
Hi, it will show, BUT, you can TELL prospective landlords this was your exhusband's activities, he is out of the picture and has moved back to Arkansas or wherever the hell you want to say. Got it?? Good. Now find yourself a job as a cocktail waitress or bartender, that's cash money and you'll love the neat people you will meet...I picture you at a nice restaurant. I'm 64, I've been around, and this is good advice, good LUCK!
Jeff H, Other Pro, Cedar Park, TX
Tue Sep 29, 2015
Hey Chelsea!

Formal evictions that have gone through the court system stick on your record for 7 years. Most landlords check eviction and credit reports before letting you move in more then your actual rental history

Is your credit okay otherwise? If it wasn't a court ordered eviction you might not actually see it on the report.

I recommend grabbing a copy of your rental history from myrentalhistoryreport.com and seeing what landlords know about you.

After that, I think as other people have suggested your best bet is to be honest and work with an apartment locator company who will know where in town will work with you. Good luck!
Laura Rosales, Agent, Austin, TX
Sun May 12, 2013
Hi Chelsea, If you were evicted a year ago it will pose several problems. In the current market, you need to show a 3 year rental history that is positive as well as a credit report without any outstanding money owed related to housing. You may need to find a room mate situation with someone who already has a place. Then work on getting a 3 year rental history that is positive. Also - find out if the management company is stating you owe them money. If so, make payment arrangement or pay off the outstanding balance. This will follow you on your credit report for 7 years + and in Texas a landlord has 4 years to file a Judgment against you and that would show on your credit for up to 10 years.

Sorry to have bad news but it's better to know and take care of it than deal with it form years to come.
Best Wishes, Laura Rosales-Austin Realtor
JOSEPH E JAR…, Agent, Austin, TX
Sun May 12, 2013
Unfortunately, if it was an actual formal eviction that will show up and will probably be an issue for a new landlord. Also, on your application it will ask you if you've had problems such as that and if you lie that will not help. Good luck…

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Ranked #1 by Buyers and Sellers (JD Power & Assoc. 2012) Call 512-261-4415
David Samuel, , Austin, TX
Sun May 12, 2013
Chelsea,

Did you break the lease or did you get evicted? If you actually went to court and had a judgment against you, that's going to be an issue. Have you had positive rental since? Do you have enough saved up for App/Admin/Deposit (around $300 for an apartment, $1200 for Duplex/House)? I'd recommend contacting an apartment locator and be honest with them about your situation, and they can lay out your options for you.