Can anyone give me advice on whether or not my options will be greater if I look for a June 1st vs. a July 1st 1BR rental apartment in Lincoln Park?

Asked by Christina Monolo, Chicago, IL Sun Apr 21, 2013

My current lease ends in mid-July, but I do not want to miss out on better options if I want to be close to DePaul University because I am looking for a July 1st start. I was thinking that if I look for a June 1st start, I might have better options because it's the beginning of the summer. But then I also heard that since it's Chicago, anytime you're looking you'll have many options since so many people move at different times of the year. Any advice would be appreciated!

Answers

10
Manuel Brown, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Dear Renter,

The most important thing you can do is start you search a minimum of 60 days out. Before you go out with a broker or leasing agent you should have ready to go first months rent, security deposit or move-in fee and all your documentation. If you don't have everything ready and in place the apartment will get rented out from under you.
Randall Lanc…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Apr 22, 2013
I would like to recommend that you utilize my free website at http://www.idealhomesinchicagoland.com. You will be able to search for properties throughout Chicago and the surrounding areas. My website features up to date information, so you will not be finding homes and properties that are no longer available like on some of the realty websites that you may be using. My website also offers an array of neighborhood and market information that can help you make your determination on homes and locations. My featured partners are industry leaders that can assist you in making any realty transaction easy and transparent. I welcome you to utilize this amazing tool. As always I will be available to answer any questions that you may have.
Paul Cionczyk, Agent, GLENVIEW, IL
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Start looking now. There are places that are already listed for rent, but are currently occupied and are not available till 1,2, or 3 months from now. The sooner you start looking the better. You can also hook up with an agent who can arrange an MLS search of available rentals that fit your criteria. Best part is that since they are looking in the MLS, they get paid by the landlord when they fill the landlords spot, and it doesn't cost you to have someone else look for you. You still might find other units that are not mls listed on third party sites, but just presenting you your options. There should be many leases like yours in the DePaul area that end at about the same time as yours, you just need to keep an eye out for them. If you need an agent for that area, send me an e-mail and I can refer someone your way.

Good Luck

Paul Cionczyk| Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage |Broker
312-433-9931 | PaulCionczyk.Broker@gmail.com |PaulCionczyk.com
Web Reference:  http://www.paulcionczyk.com
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Sun Apr 21, 2013
Look as soon as your pocket book can handle it. Look now and request a July 1 start. If possible sweeten the pot for them and provide 1 month security deposit and 2 months rent.
Noah Seidenb…, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Jun 1, 2015
June 1st many people move. I would start looking right now. There are choices available. Good luck to you.
Joe Scott, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Jan 13, 2014
Start looking as soon as possible. Have an idea of what his available and how much rents are going for. Get all of your documentation and finances together so that if you do find something you are prepared. If you would like assistance please contact me. You do not pay me for my services. My fee comes from the landlord/property management. Good Luck!

Joe Scott
joe@joescotthomes.com
312-772-4245
JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Apr 22, 2013
start now email me at jmichaels@remax.net and I will send you my list near the university
Elizabeth Be…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Apr 22, 2013
I have found that it does not make much of a difference. You should plan on a lease beginning the 1st of any month as this will give you more choices. You should plan to looknow for a June 1st start date to rent.

Get started now---as the rentals for June 1st are already beginning to appear on the market.
Act fast---that is the key to getting your rental near a particular area such as near DePaul.

If you need help---let me know---I am very responsive and would love to help you find
a perfect place.

What is your price range ???

Yolanda Deen
Koenbig & Strey
312-893-3529 ( Direct)
Hi Yolanda! My price range is $700-1100 and I'd like to be close to Belden and Bissell. You can email me if you know of any places that are available for 6/1 or 7/1 start. I plan on making a trip to Lincoln Park Wednesday afternoon. cmonolo5@gmail.com
Flag Mon Apr 22, 2013
Philip Sencer, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Apr 22, 2013
There is no real consistant difference between the 2 dates. Grab something when you see it.
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Apr 21, 2013
The sooner you can get started, the better. Try to get a longer move in date. But I dont think theres a big difference between June or July.
Thanks, Matt! Can you please clarify what you mean by "longer move in date"?
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013