For Rent in Waldorf>Question Details

jmd77797, Renter in Waldorf, MD

Can a person transfer their section 8?

Asked by jmd77797, Waldorf, MD Sun Apr 28, 2013

She lives in Waldorf under section 8, is she able to transfer her section 8 into another home in the same county?
Asking for a friend! Thanks!

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Waldorf

Help the community by answering this question:


As a general matter, your friend would be able to use her voucher for another home. She needs to be aware if there are differing monthly rental rates, as she may be required to make up the difference depending on the type of voucher she receives and the difference in the rates between the properties. And she should make sure her case worker is aware that she is looking for a new place to live.

As was mentioned below, the new property has to be inspected and not all renters accept vouchers. So if your friend's moving is a need and not a want, she should be prepared for a potentially extended process before she is in a new place.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 29, 2013
Yes, she will need to let her case worker know she is looking for a new home. The clauses in her lease will stay the same as far as moving out goes. So if she still has 6 months left on her lease she will need to wait. When looking for a new place the owners will have to be willing to accept a voucher. The new home will need to be inspected by a section 8 inspector and approved for occupancy, most likely there will be a list of repairs for the homeowner to make before approval.

I would like to say though, Charles County have very few rental homes accepting vouchers. When searching for a property for clients I tell them they can not be picky because my search usually finds 2 maybe 3 homes that will work. It might be best if she can stay in the home she already has.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 28, 2013
I would suggest that your friend ask her/his case manager I know that a voucher can be transferred from county to county and state to state and city to city but I would suggest she/he check with her/his case manager for details. the case manager have to prepare the paperwork
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 28, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer