Are the Craigslist postings for 1402 Brickell Bay Dr. legitimate? For example:

Asked by Gabbi, Downtown Miami, Miami, FL Mon Jun 1, 2009

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/apa/1186261994.html

Answers

53
Dnc, , Seattle, WA
Fri Feb 12, 2010
She is currently running this same scam in Seattle. I received the same email as below. I then sent her the link to this site and told her she was busted. What a waste of time.
Bradcw, Home Buyer, San Diego, CA
Tue Feb 9, 2010
Got the same reply re: a condo in San Diego. I noticed the street view on google maps was of a stucco building but the photos in the ad had a brick exterior - and that the condo was supposedly on the 7th floor but the photos were much lower... Anyway - I emailed hoping it wasn't too good to be true... got the same email from "Hanna". Darn.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Hanna Farren <hannafarren302ih@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello ****,

Thank you inquiring about my condo for rent. I am scheduling viewings of the unit and would be interested in showing you around the building.

Due to poor renting experiences in the past I am requesting that you confirm you have an reasonable credit score and would like to hear more about your current employment to avoid dealing with under qualified tenants.

I would suggest getting a free report from http://www.seemycreditscore.com/freecredit/ which requires less than 3 minutes and has no cost. No viewings will be allowed until I have received your score. This will be helpful for other properties you are looking at and is a standard in pre-rent screening procedures.

I am asking that you complete the report and provide me with the numerical score, please DO NOT send the report as it contains sensitive information, you can print it for your records and bring it with you to the viewing.

If you can also tell me a little bit about yourself, your interests, hobbies.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hanna
Letoile, , Miami Beach, FL
Fri Jul 17, 2009
hey!! yeah i guess too good to be true!
i have found your question cause i was looking for the same answer..
well i have seen these ads too, and every week they have a different for a few bucks cheaper... before i knew that, i replied her email (caroline davies), telling her my credit score (but no other information, and i didn't go to the website of which she had sent me the link, i just went to freecreditreportsinstantly.com (with a free week trial, like all the other websites, and cancelled my membership right after). so i just sent her my credit score and my activities and interests. i have never had a respond to that...
so once again i guess this is a scam. no matter what i'll report it to craigslist!
good luck for you research... and you know what, if you're looking for an apt in brickell just like i do, maybe it'd be cheaper to get a roommate... let me know what you think of it... noaonline@yahoo.fr funny but who knows, might be cool...
Noa
Gabbi, , Downtown Miami, Miami, FL
Mon Jun 1, 2009
Harry, I just looked into this further and I found that there are almost identical postings in Phoenix, Atlanta, etc. It looks like, unfortunately, the postings were too good to be true. Thanks for responding to my question and have a great day.
Jason Herten…, , Champaign, IL
Mon Jun 1, 2009
This is a scam...beware.

Try looking for rentals using Cazoodle Apartment Search. There is 7,883 listings for Miami alone.
Doc & Ellen…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Thu Jul 1, 2010
Hi, Gabbi,

Lots opf good answers. I just wrote a blog on my experience with this scam: http://www.trulia.com/blog/ellen_doc_stephens_realtors/2010/…

Since then, I have found that they are using all kinds of listings, not just rentals. We have found several high dollar expired listings or properties that were sold months ago now marketed on those "list" sites as low cost rentals. Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Many think if they read it, especially on the internet, it must be true. NOTHING could be further from the truth.

Doc
Web Reference:  http://TellEllen.com
Trev, Renter, Orlando, FL
Thu Jul 1, 2010
seriously. who cares if the price is realistic. ? its a scam . period. i just got hit by it. too here in orlando. got an email by an Amy Ede [amy.ede83@gmail.com] . im used to using annual credit report or whatever for my once a year credit reprot by the 3 credit agencies. and was wary of the see my credit score but i am used to working on computers. so i tested it out with a keen eye on the address bar and status bar. when saw i was redirected with a hit click thing i closed the page.. when ever you see that kind of behavior its a bad thing . so immediately cancel out before the website has a chance to finish loading. otherwise you may inadvertently download some adware or spyware while the page is loading. a listed webpage link should go immediately to that domain. no hopping around.
Sublime88, Renter, Chicago, IL
Mon May 31, 2010
I received the same response from in Chicago and did the credit report. Her link redirected me to annualcreditreport.com, which, according to the federal trade commission (http://www.ftc.gov/freereports) and wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annualcreditreport.com,) is a legitimate site. So what's the scam here? Do they receive money for directing traffic to the site? I don't really see a need to cancel my credit card or anything. Should I? I'm getting kind of paranoid now.
Sleencelizset, , Downtown Miami, Miami, FL
Thu May 27, 2010
Hi Guys,

I am from Mumbai, India. Currently pursuing my final year in journalism from Mumbai University and have been writing for clients online since the past 3 years.

Have always had a flare for creative writing and have exercised my writing skills to the full potential in the past years.

I have only recently begun dabbling with IM and a friend suggested I join these forums.

i m providing content writing jobs, unique content articles , free content writing , unique content writing, content writing , content , and seo articles and writing and unique content writing work please let me know thanks !
outsourcing articles job , cheap unqie content , and all type of content related things !! :P

Looking forward to having a <a href=http://associatedcontentnetwork.com>great time</a>.

Regards
Loxs, , Piscataway, NJ
Thu May 6, 2010
About that Your Screen is malicious application. You are strongly recommended to unfasten Your Safeguard as speedily as you attend to its traces on your system. Also in behalf of the most efficient removal of rogue <a href=http://www.loxso.net>anti-spyware program</a> you are recommended to turn to account a believable anti-spyware tool.
Web Reference:  http://www.loxso.net
Aabid123, , Austin, TX
Sun Mar 21, 2010
yaa quite a great info here about that!
Linda Ginex, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Fri Mar 19, 2010
Lots of great information here. Thanks!
Lori Fishkind, , Nashville, TN
Thu Mar 18, 2010
Harry,

The first thing I usually do is go to samspade.org to check out the history of a website.

The website for your credit score was created in Oct, 2009. The person who registered it is not noted, as it was registered through a company. When searching for the website in question, it only seems to appear with respect to cragistlist ads. So, I would have to suggest that the site has been set up to gather confidential information.

Use caution.
Mefarmer, , Long Beach, CA
Sun Mar 14, 2010
Got the same response when looking in Sacramento, CA. Any word on the credit report site?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rebbecca
Michelle Bey…, Agent, Miami, FL
Tue Mar 2, 2010
I have a rule in Real Estate that has saved me from tough binds:

In Real Estate, if it is too good to be true, then it must be false.

The posting you are referring to is too good to be true and I did a quick search for them on the MLS and nothing came up...

I have a couple of legitimate rentals in Brikell and Downtown area. Specifically in The Ivy and One Miami. Let me know if I can help.

Michelle Beyer
(786) 326-4430
Oneforfun, , Orange County, CA
Tue Mar 2, 2010
Yep there pulling this SCAM in San Diego and had to CXL my Bank Account also. What I'm doing is Copping & Pasting all these complaints. When I reply to the posting I also send a copy of all these complaints to abuse@craigslist.org this way both Craigs & the Scam Artist know whats going on
Denl, , Denver, CO
Mon Mar 1, 2010
I was also tricked by this posting but in Denver. I went to their website and entered my credit information and then cancelled my account later in the day. I've already closed my bank account but does anybody know anything else I should do?
Oneforfun, , Orange County, CA
Sun Feb 28, 2010
650 / 1br - Amazing upscale one Bedroom Condo, located downtown (san diego )
Date: 2010-02-28, 12:14AM PST
Reply to: hous-esez9-1621434312@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Awesome 1 bed room luxury Condo on the 8th Floor, Awesome 1 bed room luxury Condo on the 8th Floor, the apartment is approximately 760 square feet.

Features of the Condo -
- All utilities included in rent
- Existing Lighting Fixtures, Dish washer, Washer, Stove, Fridge, Dryer, Window Covers
- Premium Apartment Location
- 24 hr Security
- Hardwood floors (Maple)
- 1 underground parking space ($25/month for an extra spot if required)

Details of Lease:
- Must sign contract for 6 months or longer
- First months rent & $270 Security deposit required
- Pets allowed
the apartment is approximately 760 square feet.

Features of the Condo -
- All utilities included in rent
- Premium Apartment Location
- 24 hr Security
- Hardwood floors (Maple)

Details of Lease:
- Pets allowed

702 W Harbor Dr (google map) (yahoo map)
Oneforfun, , Orange County, CA
Sat Feb 27, 2010
THERE AT IT IN SAN DIEGO AND HERE IS THERE POSTING. ALTHOUGH I AM REPORTING ALL THERE POSTING TO CRAIGS & DEPT OF CONSUMERS AFFAIRS

$650 / 1br - 1 Bedroom Condo available January or February (san diego )
Date: 2010-02-27, 3:08PM PST
Reply to: hous-egbea-1621005230@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Amazing 1 bedroom luxury apartment on the 4th floor, the condo is approximately 750 sq ft.Condo Facilities -- ALL Utils included in rent- Stove, Fridge, Dryer, Window Covers, Existing Lighting Fixtures, Dish washer, Washer- Amazing Condo Location- 24/7/365 Security- Maple floors {hardwood}- 1 parking space includedLease Details:- available for 6 month or longer lease with option for renewal- ONLY FIRST MONTH RENT REQUIRED- ALL Dogs and Cats accepted.

702 W Harbor Dr<<<<<USING THIS ADDRESS FOR ALL THERE POSTINGS
T2phat, , New Haven County, CT
Sat Feb 27, 2010
I have the same thing for New Haven CT. She got me though. I answered the request and all. can someone tell me what to do or what to worry about???

Hello ....,

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rebbecca
Honesty, , Ohio City, Cleveland, OH
Mon Feb 22, 2010
I called the credit card agency where they are doing the 'free credit' report and was able to speak with someone, does not look like the agency is fake, but this is definitely a scam.
Honesty, , Ohio City, Cleveland, OH
Mon Feb 22, 2010
Here are 3 email addresses that are doing the same SCAN As Hanna Ferren:

kristlemoorcroft138gs@hotmail.com
hannafarren302ih@hotmail.com
alexandraeller981bw@hotmail.com

They are using craigslist, and sending the exact same email as that listed below. BEWARE, total Scam, the apartments dont exist!

Cleveland ohio addresses they are using: 705 w. lakeside and 1900 grove ct.
Princess, , Cleveland, OH
Sun Feb 21, 2010
thank you for posting this thread. They are active in Cleveland, Ohio now. This time "Hanna" is "Alex Andraeller <alexandraeller981bw@hotmail.com>"
Laurieknowsit, , New York, NY
Sat Feb 20, 2010
Thanks for the info. the same is happening in Buffalo, NY.
Oneforfun, , Orange County, CA
Thu Feb 18, 2010
http://www.seemycreditscore.com And Hanna Ferrens. THIS IS A SCAM SCAM SCAM. I'M Was looking for an apt in San Diego and received this exact response.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hanna
Sleezy, Both Buyer And Seller, Washington
Thu Feb 18, 2010
He's doing the same thing in DC. I responded though and told him I got a score from a different agency and if that would suffice... i'll let you know how that turns out. I wouldn't worry about identity theft though, I think he might receive credit for increasing traffic to the sight, that s all. My mama always said, if its too good to be true, it probably is!
Aisha, , Chicago, IL
Sun Feb 14, 2010
Chicago is on "Hanna Farren's" radar too. Do not fill out the form she requests - I work for a major credit card company and the servers blocked my access to this link.
Gita Bantwal, Agent, Jamison, PA
Thu Feb 11, 2010
When I post something on Craigs list I request a telephone number as when people respond they do not even give their email address sometimes. For security reasons we need to know who we are dealing with before showing properties.Do not give out sensitive information unless you know who are dealing with.
Web Reference:  http://www.gitabantwal.com
Michelle, , Chicago, IL
Tue Feb 9, 2010
I just responded to the one in Chicago near Navy Pier as well. I, unfortunately, did receive the same exact response from Hanna Farren. Super. Does anyone know anything about this credit check company? I did put my information in b/c I got too excited about the ad and now am worried about identity theft.
Cela, , New Haven, CT
Sat Feb 6, 2010
any 1br condo available 74 Harbour close ?
New User, , Philadelphia, PA
Fri Feb 5, 2010
It's February 5, 2010 and I received the same reply in respose to a Philadelphia apartment CL ad. It was directed into my Spam folder where it belongs:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hanna
Keithrichard, , Chicago, IL
Thu Feb 4, 2010
I just saw a posting in Chicago for a place near Navy Pier. It seemed far to low to be real. Received the same reply from "Hanna" that you have all received. I wrote this person back and let them know how big of a piece of sh*t they are and that I am reporting them. I know one person can't do a whole lot, but collectively if everyone that encounters this SCAM reports her it will have to effect Craigslist at some point as it diminishes their integrity.

-Keith
Ambassadorbu…, , Portland, OR
Wed Feb 3, 2010
It is a scam and Craigslist staff couldn't give a darn. They told me their "flagging community" will take care of it. Yeah, right...our staff is swamped with people wanting the incredible deals that "hanna" is advertising.
Phillybware, , Philadelphia, PA
Tue Feb 2, 2010
I just received the same response for a posting in Philadelphia. I looked up her name on google to see if she was legit and saw this post!

Thanks for the warnings! Always hesitant in providing credit score numbers prior to seeing the apartment!
Greggm, Both Buyer And Seller, Charlotte, NC
Sun Jan 31, 2010
Same goes for 105 N. Tryon in Charlotte, NC. I got the same exact reply from Hanna Farren. The prices are for multiple units in this building, a high rise in prime realty in uptown Charlotte.

Stay away! It's definitely a scam. The link she provides catches your SS#, and the additional information she requests is also illegal and unnecessary.

Craigslist needs to block these people.
Richard Leci…, , Tucson, AZ
Sat Jan 30, 2010
The link you posted is dead. Becareful with what is on Craigslist, many scams
Mark LeMenag…, Agent, Lake Nona Orlando, FL
Sat Jan 30, 2010
Amazing how some questions just push the right button and live on and on. As noted, always be careful with Craigslist.
Robin, Home Buyer, Houston, TX
Fri Jan 29, 2010
I got the same email for an apt in downtown Houston! you think they would be more creative...
it's sent from Hanna Farren <hannafarren302ih@hotmail.com>

http://houston.craigslist.org/apa/1574957859.html

Hello ,

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hanna
Javier Olmedo, Agent, Miami, FL
Mon Jan 25, 2010
Buyer beware! The Wild West is back - or better known as Craigslist.
Web Reference:  http://www.olmedohomes.com
Jennifer, , Sacramento, CA
Sun Jan 24, 2010
found this link wanted to add to my past post but don't know if i can edit.. so here it is
Jennifer, , Sacramento, CA
Sun Jan 24, 2010
I also just received this e-mail, from Sacramento, CA listings. There were bunch of listings for 1 br condos (different sq footage, different floors, different prices, different pictures) from the same address. I thought maybe it's a building, because the address is in downtown and I know there are many high rise buildings with condos/lofts/apts... It was odd, because there were multiple listings, asking me to contact Amanda P for more info (some listings said call, but no phone # was listed). I tried e-mailing 2x to one of the listings and got no reply. I used a different address (my work one which lists my name as last name, first name), and I got a response! Same as the ones you all got..

Hello last name,,

I would suggest getting a free report from http://www.seemycreditscore.com/freescore/ which requires less than 3 minutes and has no cost. No viewings will be allowed until I have received your score. This will be helpful for other properties you are looking at and is a standard in pre-rent screening procedures.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mary

I took my name out, but I noticed that it said hello, (my last name) and two commas. Anyway, seems like these people are all over CL. I know a lot of people don't think about these scams and probably put their info into those sites :(
Dejene, , Irvine, CA
Tue Jan 12, 2010
Go this one from a Craigslist listing in San Diego, can't they be a little more creative? Well at least my person changed their name.

Thank you inquiring about my condo for rent. I am scheduling viewings of the unit and would be interested in showing you around the building. Due to poor renting experiences in the past I am requesting that you confirm you have an reasonable credit score and would like to hear more about your current employment to avoid dealing with under qualified tenants. I would suggest getting a free report from http://www.seemycreditscore.com which requires less than 3 minutes and has no cost. No viewings will be allowed until I have received your score. This will be helpful for other properties you are looking at and is a standard in pre-rent screening procedures. I am asking that you complete the report and provide me with the numerical score, please DO NOT send the report as it contains sensitive information, you can print it for your records and bring it with you to the viewing. If you can also tell me a little bit about yourself, your interests, hobbies. I look forward to hearing from you.

Patricia
Xenarat, , Baltimore, MD
Fri Jan 8, 2010
I got the exact same email and I'm in Baltimore, MD. I guess people just want to scam you everywhere.
Djjaxs, Home Buyer, Orlando, FL
Fri Jan 1, 2010
Hello *****,

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jesse

WHEN I EMAILED BACK EXPLAINING THAT I HAD JUST RAN MY CREDIT AND COULD PROVIDE THAT MY EMAIL REPLY WAS DENIED......

TOTAL SCAM, BE CAREFUL, I had a feeling it was too good to be true!!!!!
Ron Jeanniton, Agent, Plantation, FL
Tue Dec 22, 2009
Craigslist is like the wild west, especially in Miami. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Save yourself the headaches and just contact your local realtor.
Angelgirl, , Connecticut
Mon Dec 21, 2009
I got the same exact email for the 74 harbor in new haven. I knew it was too good to be true!
Sandiego619, , San Diego County, CA
Mon Dec 21, 2009
IT IS A SCAM!!!
I came across a listing on Craigslist and when the person replied it did not include a contact name or phone number. This seemed very strange to me and decided to google the name of the person that e-mailed me-- Jesse Papps. I received the following reply from his ad listing an upscale condo in downtown San Diego, CA:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jesse
Ld999, , New Haven, CT
Sun Dec 20, 2009
The 74 Harbour Close condos in New Haven are a scam. I got the exact same email...
Hello ldonroe,

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jesse

I guess I should have known it was too good to be true. I was the fool that went to the website and emailed my credit score number back. It turns out the email address wasn't accurate and the email got bounced back. There are SEVERAL condos with the same address 74 Harbour Close. The respondents name was Jesse Papps. Once I emailed a mini bio about ourselves from a different email address I never got a response. After finding this website I knew I had to cancel my credit report trial. I am now paranoid that I am going to become a victim of identity theft. Any more suggestions as to what I should do next???
Bfdjon, , New Haven, CT
Sun Aug 9, 2009
The more I look into this Caroline Davies. The more the scam gets bigger and bigger. It seems her listings are all over Craigslist. The ones I have noticed are in New Haven CT. As they come up (about 3 a day) All with the same address of 74 Harbour Close. I send them to Craigslist but I don't think they do a thing about them. I don't understand why craigslist can't have a separate board where we can post what we believe to be scams. This past weekend I requested more info on 10 different properties and 7 were scams. Some were now missionary's that wanted me to wire the funds to them. Another said not to trespass onto the property listed and they wanted a call to an 001-44 number. UK I believe.
I posted this to Craiglist earlier and my add vanished in a couple of minutes. This was in response to another of Caroline Davies ads.

$810 / 1br - Amazing upscale 1 bedroom condo, located downtown SCAM

Date: 2009-08-09, 12:32PM EDT
Reply to: hous-gwmry-1313948644@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I wish there was another way to post how many scams are going on in the apartment listings. Why can't Craigslist give us a section where any of us are having issues and know of a scam can let others know. The one I am listing here is one of MANY that show up with the address of 74 Harbour Court. You will receive an email back asking that you run your credit report through the link they supply. The email will be signed by a Caroline Davies. If you do a google search for the name you will see where others have posted that this scam is done in her name in many, many cities in the US. I report these every day to Craigslist but they don't seem to do anything about it.

Just wanted to let you all know to be very careful.
Zoila Perez…, Agent, Miami, FL
Thu Jul 23, 2009
I just came across this question, last year while I checked through Craigslist for a rental property I noticed that many realtors place ads that are not even available. Also, if you call them they never answer you back. As a realtor, I check all sources to find properties for the individuals I am working with this is how I noticed this trend. When working with someone I always run their credit because landlords always ask for this information. You can ask how your credit is but not the actual score because it might not be accurate.

Good Luck, there are many of us, realtors, that work the right way & follow the code of ethics.
Zoila
http://www.zmiamirealestate.com
1 2