Financing in 92782>Question Details

Cleovo, Home Buyer in New York, NY

i am a canadian citizen been working and residing in the US for 4 years. 3 years a s an employee and now w my own co. Can i get mortgage?

Asked by Cleovo, New York, NY Fri Sep 20, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Financing in 92782

Robert Spinosa’s answer

It would appear that you could get a loan based on your citizenship status:

*If you have a social security number and a work visa, you would be considered a non-permanent resident alien.
*If you do not have a social or work visa, then you'd be a foreign national.

Either of the above can be eligible. Your biggest challenge may be that you're recently (technically) self-employed, but since I can't know what your tax filing looks like, it is hard to say. There are some complexities for sure, but I would not yet say it's impossible.

You'll need to contact a NY lender who would make a loan to a non-permanent resident alien or a foreign national. See if you get a response here, but if not, start your search with those terms.

Best of luck,

Rob Spinosa
Well...very happy to hear from Brian Nguyen that in his area banks offer loans for "freshly" self employed foreign citizens with US residency. I do have a lot of clients, very reputable and succesful professionals by the way, which have problems with loans under similar circumstances. But a general suggestion for you "Cleovo" is to start talking to your local banks and mortage broker. I am not sure where in NY State are you located, but if you need any further advise or contact info for good local mortage brokers and/or bankers please let me know.

Yes, we agents always hope for business coming our way from this and other websites, but the FIRST step all our clients have to do is contacting a loan officer actually.
Yes! With your information and work history, it is possible for you to get a loan. I would need to speak with you to learn more about your finances to figure out your loan options but there are options for you. Well I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or if you would like a loan, feel free to contact me. Good Luck! Brian Nguyen Sr. Mortgage Banker NMLS # 659743 Phone: 949.667.2887
Banks are concerned with a buyer's credit rating and ability to purchase a home. They will look at your income for the past two years, your proof of funds, assets and ability to pay. Being a foreign national will mean that the process is a little bit different for you and AMerican banks will want your Cash for purchase in a U.S. bank, otherwise there is a time period for it to be processed by the NSA.
It is best to talk to a number of lenders to find the one that best understands your situation and can help you achieve your goal.
Best of luck,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 21, 2013