earliest time I can close in the begging of year if I need a tax transcript from the IRS

Asked by Fm, 01702 Sat Nov 10, 2012

My home search this year had to be delayed until next year because I will need another full year of tax returns, I will file as soon as I can in January 2013, but I am concerned that the IRS does not process the return until later... I have heard as well that some cases are not processed until April ( if you are not expecting a refund)... What is the experience... is it realistic to say you will be able to get a tax transcript by end of January, mid February?

Can I get a mortgage if the bank is not able to get an IRS transcript but can get the filed return signed by a tax lawyer ?

Answers

4
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Sun May 26, 2013
The filing is what counts, not the date you get your check - unless that money is part of what you need to buy a property.

Of course choosing a local real estate pro can help you save a lot of time.
(Not me, I'm on the Cape, but I can help you choose a local pro when you are ready.)

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Sat Nov 10, 2012
I believe that a copy of the tax return you file is sufficient. I would check with your mortgage lender and see what other mortgage brokers in this forum recommend.
Lynne Hagopi…, Agent, Framingham and Southborough, MA
Sat Nov 10, 2012
Hi..I would call a tax accountant and ask this question. Also ask if it makes a difference if you file electronically..I would be glad to help when you are ready if you are looking in the area for a new home in the beginning of the year. Good luck and let us know what you find out as I am sure you are not the only one in this situation.

Lynne Hagopian
Hammond Residential
508 648-0393
LHagopian@hammondre.com
Thanks, I am scared because I found out that even if you efile, the IRS does not start processing until January 22, but I can take longer for them to process and you are not able to get a transcript until they finish processing. I read scary cases yesterday of people who lost their house because it took the bank more than 6 weeks to get a transcript!
Flag Sun Nov 11, 2012
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Sat Nov 10, 2012
It tough. If you file right away it may take about 4 weeks but the longer you go the longer it takes. We do have an accelerated way and would be happy to share if you contact me.
You are always so helpful!

My kindest regards
Flag Sun Nov 11, 2012