dose anyone know that if a fellon in tucson, arizona is able to own a home? and if so how can they get financed?

Asked by Malinda Lewandowski, Tucson, AZ Sat Sep 17, 2011

Answers

13
Roswell Moore…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Scottsdale, AZ
Sat Sep 17, 2011
Hi Malinda,

As a lender, we would not know if our client is a felon or not. We do not order a criminal background check. A rather simple answer, but I hope that helps you.

Ros

Roswell Moore, CMPS
Certified Mortgage Planner
480-422-5095 direct
http://www.ezAZloan.com

We are a Direct Lender, Mortgage Bank where we originate, process, underwrite, fund, and service our loans, in-house, FHA (w/a 580 score), 203k, VA, USDA, Jumbo, Conventional, loans to Canadians, Australians & other Foreign Nationals, on time. NMLS ID 263779
Rudy McDowell, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Bloomfield Hills, MI
Mon Sep 19, 2011
Hi, Malinda. Linda answer is spot on. You first need to consult with your attorney/court/ or PO. Depending on that response, you then will need to sit down with a licensed loan officer. Good luck.
Linda Landry, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Mon Sep 19, 2011
Malinda; many loan officers have responded answering your question and offering assistance. Many felony convictions and those serving probation or parole have court ordered restrictions on where they can reside. As a former probation officer I strongly suggest you check with the sentencing court, your PO and your attorney. Once you have resolved that issue and
become pre-qualified for a loan choose an understanding agent to assist you in your search. I can assist you if you'd like.
Brian Carden…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Sep 19, 2011
There is no requirement that we do any criminal background checks for loan applicants. I have done a loan for a felon in the past. The issues you will encounter are the same as any other applicant - acceptable credit scores and history, employment and income history and sufficient assets to close. Where the issues may arise is if the incarceration was during the last two years you may not have recent enough credit history and may not have a long enough stable income history. We can figure those things all out in one conversation if you'd like to get in touch with me.

Brian Cardenas
Sr. Loan Officer
1st Rate Home Loans
480.233.7897
Minette Gold…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Tucson, AZ
Mon Sep 19, 2011
Malinda, I agree, there are so many limitations the system puts on felons but home ownership is not one of them. The answers below are accurate, you just have to qualify like everyone else, probably need a 2 year work history, current income sufficient to cover your debts, sufficient funds for a downpayment to close the mortgage transaction and credit scores that are acceptable. Good luck, happy to help.
Linda Landry, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Sun Sep 18, 2011
Malinda; I am a retired probation officer and what I can say to you is there are restrictions on convicted sex offenders regarding where they can reside based on their conviction. Consult with the Court, your PO and your attorney. The financing process will depend on the lender you choose.
Sibby Kuehn…, , 85704
Sun Sep 18, 2011
Malinda,

You should be able to answer all these questions by applying for a home loan. Contact a lender and ask about prequalifing for a home loan. I have never heard of asking if a borrower is a fellon. Now if you do not have the income or the funds for a downpayment the loan could be declined, but not on the basis of a criminal record. Also, your credit score is important and that is based on credit experience as reported on the 3 main credit reporting agencies. You are allowed a free report annually so try freecreditreport.com. Get your reports and see if what exactly is being reported. I hope that is helpful. That is what I would do.
Ric Mills, Agent, Oro Valley, AZ
Sun Sep 18, 2011
The best way is to talk to a mortgage lender and get all of your questions answered. i can recommend several goo lenders if you need to talk to one and they do not charge to talk.
Ric Mills, Agent, Oro Valley, AZ
Sun Sep 18, 2011
Home ownership and credit rating are entirely different. If you have the credit, the down payment, and an income that qualifies, you can buy a home. A criminal background probably will never come to light unless it had to do with mortgage fraud. Buying may be an answer for you, but there are places to rent also.
Howard Roth, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Sun Sep 18, 2011
There is no requirement for a criminal background check to get a loan, and there are no legal restrictions on felons owning property. The only way it might come up is if you have an obvious gap in your work history. I suggest you get pre-approved for a loan with an experienced loan officer. (Try Renee Hahne at Nova Home Loans 202-5329) If a question comes up; I think you can be honest with her. I know of at least one convicted felon who owns three houses in Tucson that he bought with loans from a local mortgage company. HowardRoth@remax.net 520-370-1530
Michelle Car…, Agent, Coppertino, AL
Sun Sep 18, 2011
I am curious about this also. While I have not heard about any restrictions, I do know of felons who have told me that no matter how good their current credit is, they are not able to get home loans and feel this is the reason.
Spirit Messi…, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Sat Sep 17, 2011
Talk with a lender, there are a lot of things they can go over with you including FICO credit score, debt-to-income ratios, & etc. It is free to find out, if you can't get a loan now they can tell you what to work on so that home ownership can be part of your future. I suggest Nova Home Loan, Paul Volpe Vice Pres (241-4048). Good luck.
Alain Picard, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Sat Sep 17, 2011
This is not legal advice but I have never heard of a felony preventing anyone from being a home owner and to get financed they would do the same thing as everyone else which is talk to a bank. I haven't heard of any banks that take criminal history in consideration of financing a home loan.