Who provides Form 1098?

Asked by Millburn - New Yorker, Millburn, NJ Mon Feb 13, 2012

New home buyer: My loan originator was Investors Savings Bank (Investors Home Mortgage) and sold to Fannie Mae. Investors Home Mortgage told me Fannie Mae would provide me with the Form 1098 for the interest paid from when Fannie Mae bought the loan. However, Fannie Mae told me the servicer (Investors Home Mortgage) should provide this. ...kind of getting the run around here. Who should provide the Form 1098?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Gena Bolton, Agent, Grayton Beach, FL
Tue Feb 14, 2012
The servicer of the loan does.....

A mortgage servicer is responsible for the day-to-day management of your mortgage loan account, including collecting and crediting your monthly loan payments, and handling your escrow account, if you have one. The servicer is who you contact if you have questions about your mortgage loan account.

If your loan is transferred to a new servicer, you generally get two notices: one from your current mortgage servicer; the other from the new servicer. In most cases, your current servicer must notify you at least 15 days before the effective date of the transfer, unless you received a written transfer notice at settlement.

The effective date is when the first mortgage payment is due at the new servicer’s address. The new servicer must notify you within 15 days after the effective date of the transfer.

Both notices must include: the name and address of the new servicer, the date the current servicer will stop accepting your mortgage payments, the date the new servicer will begin accepting your mortgage payments
telephone numbers (either toll-free or collect), for the current and new mortgage servicer, for information about the transfer.

There is a 60-day grace period after the transfer: during this time you cannot be charged a late fee if you mistakenly send your mortgage payment to the old servicer.

The FTC works to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint or get free information on consumer issues, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)

Hope this helps,
0 votes
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Mon Feb 13, 2012
Usually the servicer who you pay your mortgage to provides it howver the bank that holds teh loan is ultimately responsible. I would start with and insist it from whoever you are paying your mortgage to, if who you paid to switched, then you may need to get 2 different ones. If they have online payments, you should be able to print one online.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Financing in Millburn Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more