What is the construction costs per square foot of a residential home in North Scottsdale run these days? I ha

Asked by Tara, Scottsdale, AZ Mon Nov 12, 2007

Answers

17
Lillytena, Other Pro, South Miami, FL
Sat Aug 13, 2016
There really is no way to get close to a number per square foot with out seeing the home, understanding what needs to be done, etc. Building costs for homes can range anywhere from $60-$200+ per square foot depending on many, many things. If you were to build a very simple, slab on grade, with minimum code requirements, I'm confident you could come in at the lower end of the spectrum.
Web Reference: http://usaconstructionloans.com
Paul Slaybau…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 12, 2007
Hi Tara, while it will obviously vary from builder to builder, you are probably looking at between $150-200 per foot. "If you get into highly custom touches and finishes, though, it will exceed that range.
Custom design does make a huge difference. And if you're going to contract labor out, then it's a good idea to get a few different quotes. The only way to find a good deal is to know what the going rate is. | http://www.contractlaboursydney.com.au
Flag Thu Feb 5, 2015
Paul Slaybau…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 12, 2007
So I count 3 local agents responding, and yet an out of area Realtor wants to direct the questioner to his website? Come on, Ian. What purpose does this serve?
Rm, , Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Apr 20, 2008
Tara:
I just finished completely remodeling (inside/out) and adding onto my North Scottsdale home. It was my first time, but my manufacturing background helped...lots. First of all...never...ever....pay more than casual attention to a Realtor on build costs as most never have done anything more than carry escrow papers.

Their are several ways to come up with an approximate ft sq cost and or a total cost (a=b & b = a). however you'll never get the same figure twice because of all of the variables. I just finished doing my remodeling/renovation and labor and material costs can change significantly next month from what I paid 6 months ago....plus what do you want....block or frame...2500 or 3500 ft sq, 1 or 2 stories? If you want to get close you must have a blueprint to start with...that is the bible. If your serious and not out to waste someones time, I would contact somebody who is in or was in the trades and knows what he's doing.......and pay him a fee to cost it for you. Ask him to seperate all of the catergories, I.E. Architectual, permits, stucco material cost, stucco labor cost etc. Get as much detail as you can but forget about the landscaping at this point.....your after the hard build costs. When and if your satisfied with the results he gives you.....add on another 20%...because it always, always costs more.

If you are looking for a good draftsman who doesn't charge nearly what an Architect does....I have one..just leave a message on here for me
I am looking for a draftsman to convert my floor plan into permit drawings. Could you refer one?
Flag Wed Dec 28, 2016
My wife and I are getting ready to build a home in Apache Junction.
I would like to know the phone number of the draftsman you know.
Henry and Eduarda.
Flag Sat Jan 31, 2015
Lloyd Fox, , Phoenix, Scottsdale, 85254, 85255, 85258, 85259, 85260, 85020, 85018, 85014, 85032
Mon Nov 12, 2007
Tara

This is a question that cannot be anwered without more information. First, the engineering and the preparation of the lot itself can start at $25,000 and range up from there depending upon the slope, the drainage and the challenges of access, etc. Then you have a wide range of materials and overall quality of construction. Custom bulders are quoting from $150 to $500/sq foot and beyond. Every upgrade you choose and the overall quality of the materials and build will really give you a huge range of what to expect. The first question you have to answer is what kind of home you want and what quality do you want it to be. You also have to take into consideration the amount of non-liveable square footage, but under roof, areas you will have. Patios, overhangs, garage(s) can also greatly influence your total cost. Find examples of what you like and then advance from there.
At this point it's like asking how much a car is without any further information.
Stephen, Home Buyer, Whitney, TX
Sun Jan 22, 2017
I am a retired builder, master plumber, HVAC contractor, ele contractor and asbestos abatement contractor.
I was at one time the youngest builder in the entire state of Texas.

What no one ever tells you is that the cost of building a home is far less than what you are told.

I began building homes in the 70's with my actual cost being @ $20 per square foot for a 2000 square foot home. Mine sold for @ $67k to $75k at that time and I sold cheap because I was new.

After several years into it I was building homes still at the the same general cost but selling them for @ $90 to $110K.

When today's builders tell you what it costs they add in their weekly/monthly income; overhead, golf, vacations and etc. This is not disputable.

What costs a person $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on a new home is their idiocy in terms of emotional buying and wanting all those extras when in fact they are not needed.

In 2017 a person could build a 2000 square foot home for @ $90k. Possibly as high as $110K. However this home would be worth between $200k and 225K depending on the market.

Builders, all builders today are cookie cutter builders, they have an entire subdivision to build out and make more money on the lots than they do on the actual sale of the home.
A 10 acre tract of land for $10k per acre costs them $100k to $150k. They will get at least 4 homes per acre and will charge as much as $25 to $75k per lot and will require most of the time that you have them build the home.

So their 10 acre investment of $150k, heck lets say $500k including utilities and roads will bring in @ $1,000,000.00 to $3,000,000.00. They have just made between $500k to 2.5 million dollars just on the land and in Dallas Texas the 2.5 million is closer to the norm than the $500k out in the country would be. In fact in Dallas it could be $5,000,000.00.

I still build from time to time and even today I build (not including land/utilities) for @ $35 per square foot which is really my cost with nothing added in for me.

So if you built a 1500 square foot home it would run me @ $52K to build the actual home plus utility costs that could range from $5000 to $15000.00 (septic required) and your land costs which could be as little as $3000 to $10000 (out in the country) for a grand total of $69k to $80k and have a home worth as much as $150k.

Pretty good investment I do believe.

Don't listen to builders, they are in it for the money only and have no reason to tell you the truth like I have as a retired builder and contractor.

I'm not disrespecting the today 'builder'. I'm just telling you the truth.

The only exception to this is than some builders have money and no building sense, no trade knowledge, no hands on experience so they contract everything out, pay the bill with out thinking and just hope to pass it on to the buyer. Really sad.

CYa
Mwmcdonnell, Home Buyer, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 14, 2016
Average cost to rebuild house in 85255
scott farmer, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri Aug 23, 2013
Hi Tara,
My wife and I are in the middle of this process too. We have done lots of research with reputable general contractors.

Some will give you a price per each living space. i.e. $35 for garage, $100 for living and bedroom spaces, and $150 for bathrooms and kitchens per sq. foot.

However, others price it by square foot "under roof." This means they average it all out and give you one price for every type of living space. This would include garage, porches, and everything.

I have one builder that charges $110 per sq.ft under roof and another that charges $80 per sq. ft. under roof. Both are high-end builders and I have seen their work. I also know them from personal experience.

As background: since I know them personally, I also know that one is a bit more conservative than the other. Oddly, the one that is $80 per sq. ft. is much more conservative on his timeframe giving me a 9 month build time. The other (at $100 per sq. ft) gives me a 5-6 month build time. Of course I want it done faster than slower, but the price difference is great. We will be in a rental until completion so all of that factors in.

This price includes land prep, but does not include a well, permits, any geological survey (if needed), or any surveying. Just the actual building supplies and labor.

Keep in mind that building supplies are rising... By the week! Wood costs in our area have had an increase three times in the last month. I think this will get worse as new home builders begin to get back in the market in our area. We shall see.

If you want more info contact me: 480-370-3214
or visit
ScottsdaleScott.com
Hello Scott, we have a lot in north Scottsdale and want to build a 1525 sq. ft. Palmer southwest home, very basic, plus a 938 sq. ft. shell poolhouse to satisfy our CC&R min. build requirements of 2450 sq. ft. We are retired on a budget so looking for someone who can build for under $100 per sq. foot if possible and less for the shell. If you have any names/suggestions, we would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you. Ruth & Jim email j.haig@sympatico.ca
Flag Thu Apr 7, 2016
I would like more information
Flag Sat Jan 3, 2015
gfbcruiser, Home Buyer, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri Apr 26, 2013
square foot cost of a residential home 1600 sq.ft. in Prescott Valley, Arizona
Laura Myers…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sat Sep 25, 2010
I wonder, 3 years later, if your home is built? What did it end up costing Tara? My answer to this is to seek the referral of people that specialize in the work that have a record of timeliness too. Talk to clients of their on how they ran the project because reputation/performance for custom builders is imperative.

Let us know!
Laura Myers
Keller Williams Arizona Realty
Did you receive any responses to your message? I am also looking to build in Tempe.
Raj, Canada
Flag Mon Dec 7, 2015
Nathan, Home Buyer, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Dec 15, 2008
Good lord, the stuff you read on Trulia. "Check out Toll Brothers." Sure, and 300+ per s.f. is a good deal. Trust me, Toll doesn't come even remotely close to paying this much o build a house. Look at their cheap finishes some time. A friend of mine is an architect -- has worked for Fortune 500 companies, has his own firm, etc. He told me I should budget minimum $150 s.f., adding that I might come in around $100 if I controlled costs, but that there are many unanticipated considerations that could emerge, and that you have to be ready for those. I myself don't care about granite or ridiculously overpriced appliances, or for the fools who do; but there it is, you have to know what you want. That said, you can get very cheap trav if you look around -- there are many lots on sale in styles that didn't appeal to others but might to you. You can also get reasonable cabinetry and so on. The point is that most people building "custom" homes are on an ego trip and just have to have a 5000 dollar bathtub, but you don't have to be like them. If you aren't, you might end up with an attractive house instead of a weird mini-mansion that someone with more taste than you will tear down in 30 years when enough time has passed to make it clear what a gaudy eyesore you created.
Stew Keene, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Oct 23, 2008
Hi Tara,

Wow, answers across the board huh?

I think we need to clarify this question just a bit in order to generalize this enough for you to get some kind of meaning out of all the answers you are receiving.

Going in, here's what you are facing.

You can build a cheap home with limited upgrades or you can build a luxury home with multiple features.

The price really depends on what kind of home you want to have at the end of the build.

Here's what you are going to find out with a little bit more investigation. Check out the home builders sights on line and look at what they are selling price per square foot average and be sure to look for spec inventory just sitting there waiting for someone to buy.

What you will likely discover is that you can buy a new inventory home for much less than building a new one and there are also luxury foreclosure homes available to save you even more money and they are built on some very nice lots, some with views.

Since you are looking in 85255, check out some of the Toll Brothers communities in that zip code.

There are a lot of great home builders out there. Some are going away and some are still around.

Here is an updated list for you to check them out to see who is having problems:

http://www.re.state.az.us/PUBLIC_INFO/Documents/Homebuilders…

Also, I do have two homes in 85262 listed on my Trula profile page you might be interested in depending on
how large a home you need. The price averages for those custom homes are 315 per square foot and 380 per square foot. this might at least give you something to compare to. Both were just finished.

I have been living in North Scottsdale for 10 years and vacationing here for 20 before that so knowledge of the area is no problem.

All The Best To You!

Stew Keene
Inspire Realty Group - Keller Williams
2008-2009 Master of Real Estate award recipient
(480) 220-7491
Web Reference:  http://www.stewkeene.com
John Lynch, , 85255
Sat May 10, 2008
I live in N Scottsdale and have for last 16 years, I represent several builders who are very guarded with their costs but, if you own the lot and the lot prep is not extensive, a range to work with would be $150.00 to over $300/ft2.....................2x6 vs 2x8 construction?, flat land or sloping?, I assume utilities including sewer are close?, house architecture (Santa Fe is most expensive than territorial with flat roof; Tuscan can be expensive depending on straighjt walls, cutouts, round walls, venetian plaster or drywall finish, we always assume travertine floors although marble, flagstone, painted concrete are all options; etc.....in high end homes the fixtures and light can be a big cost as well as stone walls, Viking/Wolf Ovens, wood flooring (factory finished wide plank) - all cost..........pools run $30,000- and up.......if land permits build a 4 car garage, 4 bedroom 3.5-4 bath, office, guest houses are big.................contact me for any details and I would be happy to look over lot and plans for you........John Lynch RE/MAX Fine Properties jlynch@fineprop.com 480-236-9470
Web Reference:  http://www.johnrlynch.com
Dan Mullarkey, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 12, 2007
Hi Tara,

I know of several custom homebuilders in N Scottsdale that build a beautiful home for around $125-$150/sf including upgrades and stainless steel appliances. Lloyd has a great point about the excavation costs variance depending on the lot, that can sometimes be quite expensive. Let me know if you would like a referral to a Nort Scottsdale homebuilder.
Web Reference:  http://danmullarkey.com
Mr.P, , Arizona
Mon Nov 12, 2007
Hey Paul,

We don`t know Tara might have meant ,North Scottsdale, New Orleans.
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Mon Nov 12, 2007
On my website, there is info on approximate cost per square foot,
http://iansellsnola.com/gpage8.html

Price will vary depending on location, contractor, demand for contractors/labor conditions and fees local to your area.

You can use my numbers as a basis, and go from there.
Web Reference:  http://iansellsnola.com
ILONA POKA, Agent, Chandler, AZ
Mon Nov 12, 2007
Hi Tara
I agree with Paul, it is dependent on the builder. Can you give us a little more information?
Best of Luck!
Web Reference:  http://www.ilonapoka.com