What is most economical way to learn the value of our home - do our own comps, get an appraisal, or?? - intent is to refi but not sure if our

Asked by Mansfield Owner, Mansfield, MA Wed Sep 9, 2009

mortgage is upside down with value of homes decreasing.

Answers

2
Susan Costa, , Westport, MA
Sun Sep 13, 2009
A CMA done by a realtor can give you an idea of the property value in todays market - if you intent is to refiance, the bank will require an appraisal from a lisenced appraisor in MA. An appraisal will cost around $400.00. If refinancing, some banks will waive the appraisal fee.

A Current Market Analysis (CMA) is done by a realtor at NO charge to you. Realtors and Appraisers use the MLS system to comp out a property.

If I can help, please give me a call. AMS Real Estate 774-264-9117, 774-526-2457
Greer Swiston, Agent, Newton, MA
Wed Sep 9, 2009
You should do your own comps (look at houses that have recently sold in your neighborhood that are comparable to your property) just to get a ballpark.

Of course, in a refi ... the only appraisal that counts is the one your lender does ... but doing your own homework will at least let you know whether or not you're in the ballpark ...

I do them for my clients. If you have an agent, you might ask him/her if he/she would do it for you ... or, if you'd like to be my client ... perahps I could help :-)
Web Reference:  http://www.commonmoves.com