We own a manufactured home on 5 acres.We cannot find the HUD tag and we may not have one. It was built in 76. How can I refinance if I cant find it?

Asked by Frustrated, 21771 Sat Oct 2, 2010

Answers

3
Kevin Olson,…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Sun Oct 3, 2010

Good news, I just went through this for the 3rd time so I have your answer! Chances are there is not a HUD tag (be sure to check all closets, kitchen cupboards, and beneath the sinks).

In each case, we had to go through the DMV (department of motor vehicles), and believe it or not the police department was able to help with information needed to refinance and/or sell. I believe you are trying to establish ownership, and in most states these homes are considered vehicles so they are registered with the appropriate department.

This might sound strange, but it is what was necessary. They treat your home the same as a vehicle. Hopefully this works well for you, when we tried getting a title company to help it was of little use.
Paul Clay, Agent, Mount Airy, MD
Sun Oct 3, 2010
If it is a "manufactured home" and not a "mobile home" them you only need to contact your loan officer and continue on with your refinancing. If it is indeed a "mobile home" it may or may not have a HUD tag. 1976 was when Hud began issuing these. Contact a reputable title company and your loan officer for advice. In either case I'm confident you can overcome the lack of the HUD tag if it is necessary. All the best. Paul Clay, 240-285-0644.
Elliot Ward &…, Agent, Columbia, MD
Sat Oct 2, 2010
A good option for someone in your position would be to contact a local area title company with a hands-on title attorney who could guide you through the process of establishing clear title. The cost should be minimal considering your monthly savings after refinancing. You could also justify any expense as investment that you might have to make prior to selling your property anyway Jeremy Wilson at Sage Title in Mt. Airy and Lakeview Title in Columbia are both experienced and knowledgeable. Rates are so good right now. Good luck!