WHAT IF I FIND A MISTAKE IN MY CREDIT HISTORY?

Asked by Brandongoodman, Fort Lauderdale, FL Fri Mar 8, 2013

Answers

4
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Fri Mar 8, 2013
Brandon,
If you do, you're in good company. Unfortunately these happen all the time. Much of the time the errors are minor or non-consequential, but when a serious error does occur the basic way to address it is this.
Write a letter demanding Experian, Trans Union or Equifax, whichever agency is reporting it incorrectly, remove the error. Send any proof you have, a copy of the receipt showing the account paid, is not yours or whatever the case may be. Keep copies and records of when you send the letter. The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that any errors you report should either be verified as accurate or removed by the reporting error within 30 days.
Now, this may not happen in 30 days, so follow up and verify that it's done or resend the letter. You can also use a company through your lender called RapidRescore. They charge a fee, but will get the issue resolved in days rather than weeks and last I knew, only charge if they are successful.
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Fri Mar 8, 2013
Correcting it can be the most frustrating thing you will ever deal with I am told (no 1st hand knowledge here thank goodness). Letters to the credit companies might help, getting the incorrect party to correct it to the credit company is a cure. It won't be quick or easy. Good luck.
Chad Gray, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wed Mar 20, 2013
Brandongoodman,

Here's a great resource from the Federal Trade Commission about disputing a credit report error:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0151-disputing-errors-c…

Best of luck!

Chad Gray PA, Realtor
Luxury Living Fort Lauderdale
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
754-300-6040

100% of clients rated our service as "EXCELLENT"!
Stephen McRo…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Tampa, FL
Fri Mar 8, 2013
-
I'm a Florida Mortgage Broker and I'm currently going to WAR with a creditor (a certain home security company) who put a 67.00 collection on a perfect credit 790 score borrower, out of the blue and after 4 yrs that dropped her score almost 100 points into the upper 600s!

They said it was from a contract cancellation fee from 2009! The borrower had sold a home, forwared all her mail for a year afterwards, the company claims they sent multiple letters but all were retruned.

She investigated and the company has a (DO NOT FORWARD MAIL) policy, so how in the world was this perfect credit borrower supposed to know she even owed 67.00? But here we are, her and her husband are trying to buy a home and now she's spending hours trying to clear it off!

Contact me, as I know exactly how to turn the screws on these companies who do this kind of stuff!

===