Purchasing a home for H1-B VISA holders....?

Asked by Richard Likness, 20136 Fri Jan 18, 2008

I'm a Canadian on a 3 year VISA and would like to buy a home. In today's market are there loan programs available that will not take advantage of me? ie. FHA? I'm positioned with 3-5% for a downpayment and am looking for "The Deal" or "The Bargain" but at the same time am worried about how to pay for it. Can I still do 3% with a HELOC to make up the rest of the 20% downpayment and get a 30 year fixed conventional?

Answers

2
Manju, Home Buyer, Manassas, VA
Tue Feb 5, 2008
well i don't think so. you visa status is nothing to do with your buying. loan is for the house and they check your credit etc... but as a visa holder i can tell you, shop around and find the intrest rate instead sticking to one....
bonbon, Home Owner, Edgewater, MD
Fri Jan 18, 2008
I'm also on an the same visa, and I don't think anyone will take advantage of you. They'll probably factor that thing in, and will probably increase interest rates somewhat, but not by much (0.125-0.25%, if at all). I don't think having US citizenship is a pre-requirement to buy property here. Just another great thing about this country :)