Property Tax

Asked by Rajib Sengupta, Jacksonville, FL Tue Feb 3, 2009

I bought a house at $65K under bank foreclosure but the house is apparised at $180K as per the county appraiser. As a result the tax is very high. As per the current sales trend the value should be at around 120K. I am going to hold this property for 4/5 years. My question is should I go ahead and request the county for a re-assessment of the property to reduce the tax of the house or should I pay the high tax and keep the current appraised value

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Patty Tranth…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Wed Feb 4, 2009
You should certainly request it to be re-assessed. If you go to and look under property appraissor you should find the link to request the re-assessment. If you need any further help you can email me at

Warm Regards,
Patty Trantham
Vanguard GMAC Real Estate
0 votes
Blaine Rabe, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Wed Feb 4, 2009
For sure get the home re-assessed. It is all on line, to do the request.

Web Reference:
0 votes
Eric Cavanagh, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Tue Feb 3, 2009
I was under the impression that the tax would be automatically recalculated with the sales price once it's updated in the county records. If that's not the case, then by all means request a re-assessment. I've seen lots of properties where the tax has gone down because the 'just market value' has dropped. Look up your property on think you can request a review or appeal an assessment there as well.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more