My wife isn't working, do we have to include her debts to qualify for a mortgage. Can we apply in my name only? I need help!

Asked by Marvin Gipson, 21224 Sun Nov 25, 2012

I plan to use a VA loan. i'm not sure if wife's debt will need to be included in the income-to-debt ratio.

Answers

9
Rich Homer, Agent, NAPLES, FL
Mon Nov 26, 2012
Your best bet is to contact a local Mortgage Broker at "Find a Pro" in the header of this website.
http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/
Craig Thomson, Agent, Baltimore, MD
Mon Nov 26, 2012
Hi Marvin,

Just apply for your VA loan in your own name but have your wife's name on the deed with your name.

My office is in The Can Company if you want to come in and talk about your situation.

Craig Thomson
Long & Foster
410-371-1661
Marney Kirk, Agent, Towson, MD
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Hi Marvin!

If you apply just yourself, you won't have to include your wife's debt. You can buy the house on your own.
If she doesn't have income that you would want to use to qualify for your loan, then you should be OK!
I have a few lenders who could help counsel you in terms of the best route for you to take when buying a home for your family.
Please let me know how I can help you further!
Thank you!
Marney Kirk
Keller Williams Excellence Realty
Gale Mcclell…, Agent, Baltimore, MD
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Hi Marvin,
Yes you can apply in your name only and do not have to include wife debts. However, you can add her name to the deed (we can talk to title co. about that).
Shane Milne, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, South Jordan, UT
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Marvin, if you apply solely in your name, then the only situation where your wife's sole debts would count against what you could qualify for is if you are purchasing a property in a community property state (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin) and you are using government (VA, FHA or USDA) financing - so a combination of both would trigger that requirement. Using conventional financing in a community property state would not require your wife's sole debts to be included. However Maryland is not a community property state anyway, so if you are buying there, then only the debts in your name will be included in the debt-to-income (DTI) ratio regardless of which mortgage type you plan on using. If you don't have your financing squared away I'd be happy to help you out with that.

Shane Milne | Lending in all 50 states | NMLS #81195
Asha Goel, Agent, Lutherville, MD
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Yes, you can. Get in touch with me so I can get you a lender who can give you right advise immediately. Well, if you want to use just your name since your wife is not working is ok also. As such if you want you still put her name on even though if she is not working. This will be entirely your decision, most of the time both are needed to use income to qualify.

You can reach me via email at asha.goel@longandfoster.com or my cell is 443-838-0885.

Asha
Sherrell Hay…, Agent, Reisterstown, MD
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Hi Marvin,
You do not have to include your wife's debt when qualifying for a VA loan. I have several lenders who specialize in VA loans and I would be more than happy to provide you with those references.

Feel free to contact me.

Thanks!
Sherrell Haynie
Do you have an email address where I can contact you?
Flag Sun Nov 25, 2012
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sun Nov 25, 2012
You can certainly try to purchase in your name only and would only include the debts in your name. Debts in bioth your names count, debts in her name only, should not. You should start by meeting with a local and trusted loan officer who can prequalify you at no cost and guide you through the process.
June Piper-B…, Agent, Baltimore, MD
Sun Nov 25, 2012
You do not have to include your wife on the mortgage or title and therefore you don't have to include the debts in her name. But, if you do that you also can not include her income to qualify for the loan. I'd be happy to refer you to trusted lenders that I work with and trust.

June Piper-Brandon, ePro, CIAS, CDPE, WHC
Associate Broker
Century 21 New Millennium
410-292-0100 (Direct)
410-730-8888 (Office)
http://www.JunePiperBrandon.com
http://www.JuneHelpsBaltimore.com