My husband was on disibility for 3yrs. He fell behind in child support. Its been current for 3yrs.

Asked by Donna Shipp, Pennsylvania Thu Aug 7, 2008

now. A mortgage lender told us we cannot get a mortgage with an arrearage in child support. Is this true??

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ute Ferdig, Agent, Newcastle, CA
Thu Aug 7, 2008
Hello Donna. Yes, a judgment for child support arrears will show up on your husband's credit report and will need to be paid off before a conventional lender will grant a loan approval. When your husband became disabled, he should have gone to court and have the child support modified during his disability as child support is dependent on income and ability to work. I am not sure what you mean when you say "It's been current for 3 years." Are you saying that he paid all the arrears and ongoing child support and the arrearage that shows is a mistake or are you saying that he started paying the ongoing child support once he got off disability, but the arrears from the time he was disable is still there? If he is truly current, then he'll have to prove to the lender that he does not owe the arrears. If he still owes the arrears, then he is not current. He should take care of the back child support as soon as possible as it most likely will just continue to get bigger if the judgment accrues interest. Perhaps he could work out a payment plan and the lender might then be willing to just take the outstanding arrears and monthly payments into consideration as a debt to income factor. Good luck to you.
1 vote
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more