My Mother is going to co sign for me so I can get an FHA loan. I am buying in LA and my Mother lives in NYC.

Asked by Jlee, 90808 Sun May 29, 2011

How will this work? She does not have a computer. Can she co sign by mail? Does she fill out an application like I did? Please elaborate on how the co signing process work.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


George Raymo…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Fort Worth, TX
Fri Nov 18, 2011
This is actually quite common having a co-signer living outside the immediate area or even out of state. This can accomplished without any extra delays or problems. Your lender will send all disclosures via email or overnight. The final loan documents can be handled in much the same way. You'll be okay, your loan officer and escrow officer will guide you though it

Take care,
0 votes
, ,
Thu Nov 17, 2011
Yes your lender should supply the paperwork and mail it to her. She will have to have some stuff notorized at closing.
0 votes
Rudy McDowell, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Bloomfield Hills, MI
Tue May 31, 2011
Hi Jlee. Jim is correct. Your loan officr should be able to simply take your mom's application over the phone. He can then overnight her loan docs to her to sign and return with a list of other docementation he will need to fully preapprove her. When comes time to close, title co can make arrangements w/ a notary or satelite title office to present your mom with the closing docs she will need to sign.
0 votes
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Tue May 31, 2011
What I have learned is that in many cases, some FHA loans must have "wet" signatures. Your lender and escrow officer can certainly make arrangements for a notary to meet with your mother and help her go through the documents that need her signatures.

And if your mother is co-signing the loan, then she will also need to complete the application, provide the same type of documents that are requested of you.

Good luck
0 votes
Walter 'Skip'…, Agent, Brea, CA
Sun May 29, 2011
Hi Jlee,
Your mother will have to do virtually everything you do. She will need to apply for the loan. She should be included on the purchase contract and related documents. You will be basically purchasing the property together. As Jim mentioned you will need to work with your lender and the escrow company to she how best to get documents signed. Although electonic signatures are available many documents require a 'wet' signature.
Congrats and good luck.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Jim Simms, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Louisville, KY
Sun May 29, 2011
Ask your lender how they handle it, I would complete the application over the phone, ship the application to her overnight and give her a list of the documents she needs to send back with the signed application. Similar process on closing, but it is really up to your lender how they want to handle it.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more