Mortgage for a foreigner

Asked by Jnypro, Philadelphia, PA Mon Feb 10, 2014

I am a foreigner and will have a job in Philadelphia soon. I have some saving to pay the down payment. Can I get mortgage at all? What % of down payment is minimal in my case in order to apply for mortgage?
Thank you.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


, ,
Mon Feb 10, 2014
Hello PK,

If you have your green card or EA card or one of the following Visa's below I am able to help you.

Alan Openshaw
Cornerstone Lending Inc
Southampton Pa 18966
215 953 0800
cell 267 992 7276
NMLS ID 143960

Non-permanent Resident Aliens

Non-permanent resident aliens must provide evidence of a valid, acceptable visa. A copy of the unexpired visa must be included in the loan file evidencing one of the following visa classes:

· A Series (A-1, A-2, A-3)- given to officials of foreign governments, immediate family members and support

staff. Only those without diplomatic immunity, as verified on the visa, are eligible.

· E-1 Treaty Trader and E-2 Treaty Investor- this visa is essentially the same as an H-1 or L-1; the title refers to the foreign country's status with the United States.

· G series (G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, and G-5)- given to employees of international organizations that are located in the United States. Some examples include the United Nations, Red Cross, World Bank, UNICEF and the International Monetary Fund. Verification that the applicant does not have diplomatic immunity must

be obtained from the applicant's employer and/or by the viewing the applicant's passport.

· H-1 (includes H-1B and H-1C), Temporary Worker- given to foreign citizens temporarily working in the

United States.

· L-1, Intra-Company Transferee- given to professional employees whose company's main office is in a foreign country.

· O-1A- given to individuals with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics

(not including the arts, motion pictures, or television industry)

· O-1B- given to individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry

· O-2- given to individuals who will accompany an O-1 artist or athlete, to assist in a specific event or performance.

· TN, NAFTA visa- used by Canadian or Mexican citizens for professional or business purposes.

· TC, NAFTA visa- used by Canadian citizens for professional or business purposes.
2 votes
This is helpful. Thank you.
Flag Tue Feb 11, 2014
Ed Fallon, M…, , West Chester, PA
Mon Feb 10, 2014
Generally speaking, we make mortgage loans " to non–U.S. citizens who are lawful
permanent or non-permanent residents of the United States under the same terms that are
available to U.S. citizens." We need to determine that you are "legally present" in the US, and document it accordingly. Please contact me for more specifics.
Edward Fallon NMLS# 144708
Senior Loan Officer
O: 610.660.4712
C: 610.308.9001
F: 610.680.3657

Allied Mortgage Group
7 Bala Avenue
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more