Lender states that we need a VA Condo ID number to do an appraisal. We have HUD number and builder is VA approved. Your experience?

Asked by Tony & Pam Williams, Kennesaw, GA Thu Jan 27, 2011

I have been told that if the condo was built before 2009 that we may not need a VA Id number. Can anyone help me with this? VA has said over the phone that it is not required, lender disagrees and says if VA gave a written notice that it was not required, they would waive the requirement. Of course, getting something from VA in writing is difficult

Answers

3
Coole Home, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Aug 20, 2013
It is required but easy to get. VA Home Loan Centers can help you obtain the ID in just a few days.
Steve Stenger, , Chicago, IL
Thu Feb 3, 2011
Hey Tony,

As Andrew Luett mentioned. I would be glad to help! I have been able to obtain VA approval on condos for the last 16 years. The condo association must be on VA's approved list before a VA loan can be obtained.

Kind regards,

Steve Stenger
President
Condo Approval Professionals LLC
(847)293-2962
E-mail: steve@condo-approval.com
, ,
Sat Jan 29, 2011
Hey Tony,

Not sure who told you that if a condo building was built before 2009 that a VA Condo ID number is not necessary, but unfortunately that is incorrect. In order to originate and close a VA loan on a condo, the condo building must have gone through the VA approval process (which means there would be a VA Condo ID number).

If you need a resource to get the condo building VA approved (Atlanta, GA is fine), I highly recommend Steve Stenger of Condo Approval Professionals: http://www.condo-approval.com/home.html.

Andrew
Andrew, there is reciprocity between FHA and VA prior to October 2009. So if it is on the FHA list it can be added to the VA list quickly.
Flag Wed Oct 2, 2013