Is there a way for me to use my husband's income to help me qualify for a mortgage loan without using his credit?

Asked by Themaciasfamily, Long Beach, CA Tue Aug 7, 2012

My credit is fair to poor (620-640) but hubby's is hovering at the 500 mark :(. I've been self employed for the past two years, and we rely heavily on his income, which is nearly 3 times there any way we can use his income without involving his credit?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Richard and…, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue Aug 28, 2012
Sorry, If your going to borrow their money, They have to know your credit history! Meet with a lender and see what you can do to improve your scores. GOOD LUCK
0 votes
Jack Suddarth, , Irvine, CA
Thu Aug 23, 2012
You can buy now. Simply use private equity. The rate is higher but if the payment is comfortable you don’t need to wait for your ficos to improve. Rates are relative to people’s mindset. Did you know the average FNMA (good credit) fixed rate mortgage from 1971 through 2008 was 8.87 percent?

The 1970s averaged 8.86 percent, the 1980s averaged 12.7 percent, the 1990s were 8.12 percent and the first nine years of the 2000s averaged 6.43 percent. The highest average fixed mortgage rate came in at 16.63 percent in 1981. We offer 7.99-11.99 percent without the rigmarole of A paper.

Jack Suddarth-President, Equity Wave Lending- Private Equity
0 votes
James Riddle, Both Buyer And Seller, Grapevine, TX
Tue Aug 14, 2012
Addressing the low credit score issue now is the right decision if you want to get a favorable decision. You may want to learn how to restore his credit and your credit by visiting

James Riddle
Credit Counselor
Credit Score Counseling.Com
0 votes
, ,
Tue Aug 7, 2012
In response to the FHA non-borrowering spouse, FHA will review the non-borrowering spouse's credit and will count any debt as California is a community property state. The score is ignored. All debt will be the derog credit will most likely come into play....
Feel free to contact me as mentioned previously to discuss in more detail.
Dan Paladin
0 votes
Jimmy Willia…, , Long Beach, CA
Tue Aug 7, 2012
Hello Macias Family,

What you're describing is what is referred to as a "Non-Qualifying Borrower" application, which is an FHA product.. In attempting answer an earlier question you submitted, I attempted to add a link to my website. However, I did it incorrectly, but have since corrected it. It is is added below for you.

Once there, you will be able to browse properties, as well as obtain financial assistance. Click over and take a test ride, and let me know through the site, how you like it.


Jimmy D. Williams
0 votes
, ,
Tue Aug 7, 2012
Sorry to say the answer is must be reviewed by all parties applying for a loan.
If you would like some guidance on restoring your credit(both), please feel free to contact me.
877-369-4319. Dan Paladin, RPM Mortgage
0 votes
Celeste Jabl…, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Tue Aug 7, 2012
Sorry but if you want to use his income they will have to pull his credit. If you are interested in improving your scores, I would be happy to introduce you to someone who could give you some advice in this area.

Celeste Jablonski
LB Brokerage
562 833-4008
DRE #01329685
0 votes
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Tue Aug 7, 2012
There is a way for you both to get a loan, but both credit scores will have to be used. You could potentially get an FHA loan, so long as the MID FICO score is 500 for his credit. Fha allows an absolute minimum score of 500 but you will be required to put 10% down.

Please let me know if you would like a referral to an excellent mortgage lender who can talk to you some more about this.

Shoot me an email directly if you'd like to talk to me some more. I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
0 votes
Peter Solomon, Agent, Los Alamitos, CA
Tue Aug 7, 2012
I would check with a lender but from what I know about loans self employed people cannoty qualify for a loan unless you are paying yourself with a check and also filing taxes ect. Typically from again what I know about loans is the lender goes with the borrower credit score who makes the most money. Feel free to call my lender Einat with Loan Science at 818-760-2700. Tell her Peter asked you to speak with her and she will figure out your situation and see if you guys are good to purchase. Hope this helps.

Peter Solomon / Realtor
T.N.G. Real Estate Consultants
0 votes
Karen McEniry, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Tue Aug 7, 2012
Most lenders will require that your husband's credit gets involved. I would suggest you speak to a few lenders to see if they have any other ideas and suggestions to increase your husband's credit score as quickly as you can. If you'd like some referrals on lenders, please feel free to email me at
0 votes
Michael Magaw, Agent, Torrance, CA
Tue Aug 7, 2012
I have not heard of a loan where you can use his income and not use the whole package, including credit & debt.

If you want a referral to a good credit repair person, then call or email me.

Michael Magaw
0 votes
Fred Glick, Agent, Mountain View, CA
Tue Aug 7, 2012
Sorry, can't be done that way. If they use the income, they have to use the credit.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more