Deb, Home Buyer in Ferndale, WA

Is it possible to buy a manufactured home using a VA home loan with zero down?

Asked by Deb, Ferndale, WA Tue Oct 20, 2009

? Will the first-time home buyer credit be possible to use towards the down payment? We like this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1085023801-1200-Lincoln-St-29…

Answers

12
JulissaSolo, , Dallas, TX
Thu Apr 30, 2015
VA loans are similar to FHA loans in that the Department of Veterans Affairs isn't the group which makes the actual home loan. Rather, the VA insures the loan -- or, rather, a portion of the loan, to be exact.

The VA's loan insurance is known as the VA guaranty, and it gives U.S. lenders the confidence required to make 100% LTV mortgages to qualified VA borrowers... http://valoanguidelines.org/

Veterans can use their hard-earned home loan benefits to purchase condos, single-family residences, and even multi-unit properties so long as they plan to live in the home as their primary residence.

However, the VA won’t issue its guaranty for what it considers "ineligible purposes." http://www.benefits.va.gov

Some of those ineligible purposes can include :

> Buying land with the intent to build a home on it in the non-immediate future
> Buying a property to be used as a rental or investment property
> Buying a home to be used as a second home or vacation property
> Buying a home in a foreign country

Military borrowers wanting to use the VA loan program for anything other than a primary residence will find lenders unwilling to make such loans. The lone exception is for the refinance of a home which was previously owner-occupied, but which is now a rental home.

The VA will allow homeowners who once lived in a home which is currently a rental to refinance using the VA Streamline Refinance... http://vastreamlinemortgage.net/
Irenelori, Home Buyer, Ontario, CA
Mon May 11, 2015
The advantage to purchasing a mobile home is clear: price. According to a recent study, the cost to build a manufactured home is about 10 to 20 percent less than building a conventional “stick-built” home. That can add up to quite a lot of money.

In addition, mobile homes, also known as manufactured homes, have come a long way, and in many cases are hard to tell apart from a traditional home in appearance and quality. The popularity of manufactured homes is demonstrated by the fact that about 10% of all new homes are manufactured homes.

How Do I Buy a Mobile Home with a VA Loan?

The first thing to do is make sure your lender will approve a VA loan on a manufactured home. Some VA lenders will only approve standard stick-built homes.

Once you find a lender, get pre-approved for the loan. Keep in mind that it’s harder to obtain a VA loan approval for a manufactured home than it is for a conventional home, especially if you have a low credit score. This is because default rates are higher on manufactured homes than with stick-built homes, so the VA is not as lenient on credit guidelines.
Reference Link: http://valoanguidelines.org/refinance-loan-programs/
Heather Burns, , Bellevue, WA
Tue Oct 20, 2009
Deb, Yes you can obtain VA financing through Wells Fargo with zero down! See below the requirements.

Manufactured
Homes –
Eligibility

To be eligible for a VA loan, a manufactured home must be:

1. Classified and taxed as real property
2. Properly affixed to a permanent foundation
3. Substantially conform with VA Minimum Property Requirements
4. Conform with applicable building code and zoning requirements for real
estate.
5. Manufactured home must be built after June 15, 1976.

Foundation
Requirements

The manufactured home unit must be properly attached to a permanent
foundation system which is constructed to withstand both supporting loads
and wind-overturning

Hope this infomation is helpful!!!

> Heather Burns
> Home Mortgage Consultant
> Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
> 10900 NE 8th St Suite 1430
> Bellevue, WA 98004
> (425) 468-8645 Tel
> (206) 714-3522 Cell
> (866) 496-5671 Fax
> Heather.S.Burns@wellsfargo.com
> Website: http://www.wfhm.com/heather-burns2
>
>Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/urownlo
Does it have to be a multi-sectional, or can it be a single?
Flag Fri Jan 15, 2016
Keane Ng, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Renton, WA
Tue Oct 20, 2009
Yes. VA requires the manufactured home pass HUD requirements, so it must be newer than July 1st, 1976, be title-eliminated to the property (Same title as the land, not separate) and never have been attached to more than one property.

You can also use your VA to buy 2-4 unit multi-family, condos (if project is VA approved) and of course, regular stick built houses.

I posted some other cool statistics on VA loans on my blog. See my web reference. Hopefully that information is helpful to you.
Jose, , 07054
Thu Dec 25, 2014
yes, it is definitely possible to purchase/buy a manufactured or mobile home using a VA home loan. I'm a manufactured home loan specialist representing a nationwide lending institution. Please call me at 862-888-0439 so we discuss this further.

Jose Tavarez
Baybob73, Home Buyer, Bellingham, WA
Sun Jun 19, 2016
what's Your question I don't see any qquestion here...what's going on....do I look like a robot
Invstnlfp, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sat Feb 20, 2016
I work for a direct lender in the mortgage industry who offers conventional, FHA VA, and USDA loans in 47 states. Are lowest score we accept for government loans are 550 when most lenders require a 620 and brokers a 580. It has to be on a permanent foundation, built after 1976, with land included.You have to have two years of income with a score over 550 with bankruptcies discharge date 2 years and over. We have basic guidelines and a pretty easy process. Feel free to text me or call me anytime up to 10:00pm Eastern with any questions.
Brian Young 214-797-3479. NMLS#902687
Peggyhamm, Home Owner, Orlando, FL
Thu Apr 17, 2014
looking to finance a mobile home on rented land using our va qualification. can we find such a place?
Michael Eise…, Agent, Bellingham, WA
Tue Oct 20, 2009
Yes, it is possible to purchase a manufactured home using VA zero down financing, but there are restrictions.
The manufactured home has to be on it's own land and attached to a permanent foundation as well as meeting other codes.
Best thing would be to check with some lenders for all the requirements for VA loans.
the mobile is in a mobile home park.
Flag Thu Apr 17, 2014
Paul Balzotti, Agent, Bellingham, WA
Tue Oct 20, 2009
Hi Deb

It is possible to buy zero down through the VA loan program, but the home you sent a link to would not qualify for VA.
In order to qualify for VA financing, the manufactured home has to be on it's own land, and this home is on leased land in a park.
As for the $8,000 tax credit, you can't use that towards your down payment.. After closing, you can file an amendment to your tax return and get a check in the mail 60-90 days later. Remember that the $8,000 tax credit expires the end of November, and VA loans take an average of 45-60 days, but the good news is that the tax credit has a good chance of getting extended.

I can send you some manufactured home listings that will fit the VA criteria if you'd like (MFH homes on their own land, and built after 1978), and help you out further. Send me an email at paulbalzotti@johnlscott.com if you'd like my help :-)
Since you are in WA can you send me the same info on manufactured homes? My husband and I are looking for land with intent to put a large manufactured home on it and we want to be sure we do it correctly
Flag Mon Jan 20, 2014
Jean Bradford, Agent, Silverdale, WA
Tue Oct 20, 2009
Hi, Deb,

VA doesn't require a down payment, and closing costs can sometimes be added to the loan or paid by the seller. The first time buyer credit cannot be used during the sale, but you'll get it back when you file for this year's income taxes.

VA doesn't work if the mobile is in a park, also. You need to see a lender ASAP, because there's barely time to get it closed by the deadline 11/30/09!!

Hurry, Hurry,
Jean Bradford
Associate Broker, GRI,CRS,ABR,CRB
Ryan Martin, Agent, Bellingham, WA
Tue Oct 20, 2009
Deb ~ Yes, it is possible to purchase a manufactured home via VA zero down financing.