I think you are always better off to deal with a LOCAL lender. You can ask several REALTORSÂ® for a recommendation and interview them all. Here's why:
1. Local lenders know what the local title companies require and already have working relationships in place.
2. Local lenders are familiar with local tax structures and Home Owner Association fees, etc.
3. Your local lender cares about his or her local reputation. They are motivated to get a great reference from you. If they come recommended by an agent, they know you will give that agent feedback on their performance. It's a highly competitive business.
4. A local lender will take the time to sit down with you and discuss your personal situation, then find the loan program that fits your individual needs best..
5. If there are hurdles to overcome, as there usually are, your local lender can work with you to get them cleared. Working long distance isn't very easy IF there are problems.
6. Working with an individual who will take personal responsibility for your success is always better than working with some faceless bureaucrat in a corporation somewhere,