I was appointed an EPH lab fellowship at Cal. Dep. of Toxic Subs Control (Env Chem Lab) for 2010-2011 with an annual stipend paid biweekly. (it is

Asked by Thelma, Rohnert Park, CA Thu Sep 16, 2010

like a post-doc basically). I dont get a W2 since it is NOT considered a salary but I do get biweekly pays and I have a year contract (which may be extended to two years). I was told I do not qualify for a first home loan due to being "self employed" and I need to wait two years under this fellowship (at which I will probably become a State employee. Any other ideas?? SHould I wait or is anyone aware of any other places that will finance a home unde my circumnstances?? Thanks.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Gregorio Den…, , San Diego, CA
Thu Sep 16, 2010
You either have to wait the 2 years to show the self employment income with tax returns or you would have to source and prove the regular bi-weekly income and that it would continue for at least 3 years. I looks as if you can do neither at this point so it appears you have no options.
1 vote
Mirjam de Ri…, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Thu Sep 16, 2010
Dear Thelma,

Since you live in Rohnert Park, are you banking with Redwood Credit Union? If so, you might want to try them?
0 votes
jo, , Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Sep 16, 2010
Your best bet is to go and actually talk to a loan officer at your local bank. Real estate agents are not 100% up to date on all loan programs as would an expert loan officer would be. If you need any help finding a good loan officer at a bank, please feel free to contact me.

Hope this helps and good luck...
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Financing in Rohnert Park Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more