Financing in 47130>Question Details

Yvonne, Home Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I am an US resident and I am eligible to apply for the citizenship. I plan to get a house loan. Does it help to be the US citizen in a loan process?

Asked by Yvonne, Fort Lauderdale, FL Thu Nov 17, 2011

0 votes Share Flag Financing in 47130

Answers

4
No. We are German Citizens and we have bought and sold houses under J, H and Green Card, no difference. The one thing you need to be is legal, if you do not have a SNN get a Tax ID number. Best is to go to a local bank.
Only difference might be if you sell and you are moving back to where you came from, if there are any taxes due the title company will withhold them.
Call me if you need more information
541 207 5551
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011
Yvonne,
If you are eligible for citizenship why haven't you applied?
If you are a permanent resident you are eligible for a mortgage but why wouldn't you become a citizen?
My wife was a Permanent Resident who had purchased a home prior to gaining her citizenship. At her hearing with the USCIS, the interviewer was really impressed that she had purchased a home and taken on that level of financial responsibility, which in my opinion further demonstrated her ties to this country. Is it necessary? No we think it surely helped.

Best of Luck!
It can open up some more options - however if you are a permanent resident (i.e. a "green card") then in a lender's eyes it's the same thing as being a US Citizen. If you are non-permanent resident (on a Visa with an Employment Authorization Document) then that usually can work out as well. So being a US Citizen presents the least amount of paperwork, but it's certainly possible to get a regular FHA or conventional mortgage while being a permanent resident or non-permanent resident too.