Shirley Mello, Home Buyer in 02322

How do you go about getting a USDA rural loan,with no money down? I qualify according to chart on site,just dont know how to do it? I am in

Asked by Shirley Mello, 02322 Sun Sep 27, 2009

massachusetts and I am looking in SC,

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


April Clarks…, , Columbia, SC
Sun Sep 27, 2009
Hi Shirley! I agree with Mark. You need to find a lender who closes USDA loans. Some lenders don't do them so make sure you find someone who is experienced. It is a great loan for those who do qualify. I work in a subdivision that qualifies for rural housing and our preferred lender is Bank of America. Bank of America normally doesn't do the USDA loans but he previously work for Countrywide. I would contact Countrywide first and then contact Bank of America to find out if they do them in your area. I hope this helps and good luck in your home search!
1 vote
Mark Brian, Agent, Anderson, SC
Sun Sep 27, 2009
My suggestion is to talk with lenders that in the area you are looking at that are experienced with successfully closing USDA loans for consumers such as yourself. Your Realtor should have a list of lenders that fit this description for you to choose from.
1 vote
James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Mon Sep 28, 2009
I work in an area near the boarder for qualifing and nonqualifing for USDA loans. I have 2 lenders both are depository institutions that I refer people to when the are looking to go USDA. Talk to a Realtor® familiar with the area that you want to buy in and they should have an idea of who can close a usda loan. There are companies that are approved to write the loans that have never done one so try to get someone that has closed them before.
By the way I heard (rumor not in writing) that USDA was removing the insulation requirement on underwriting because a lot of appraisers were not able to measure the insulation in the walls. Here is a link to the USDA requirements sheet that is the appraiser check list.
Web Reference:
0 votes
X, , Kirkland, WA
Sun Sep 27, 2009
Shirley, just like the other answers say below, you need to contact a lender and have them provide you with information about usda and get some quotes from them.

It sounds like you've done some research on the loan program, but keep in mind it is income and location restricted. Here is the website to search for property eligibility.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Financing in Conway Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more