How do you figure out the property tax for apt complexes in union city (non owner occupied)?

Asked by Dorian, 07087 Tue Aug 2, 2011

I know the property tax rate for Union City is 5.930--but i believe that by statute if a house has more than 4 units it is no longer considered "residential" for tax purposes. So does that mean the 5.930 rate no longer applies? Does it then become commercial property? How do you figure out the tax? estimated of course.... Union City has a lot of apt complexes and im working on a research project. Thank you so much.

Answers

4
Cindiayuen, Other Pro, Weehawken, NJ
Wed Aug 17, 2011
Yes if you look at assessment value, it's about 5.9%, if you look at current price/ appraisal value, it's about 4%
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Aug 4, 2011
I Googled it and saw that it was 2.21%.
Some of the N.J. rates are over 3%
Ours is only 1.25%.

Good luck and may God bless
Jerry Barker, Agent, Atlantic City, NJ
Thu Aug 4, 2011
Just visit http://www.njactb.org and do a record search on the address and you will find your answer and much more info as well.
Web Reference:  http://www.sjrates.com
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Tue Aug 2, 2011
Your questions are best answered by the local tax assessor. The information is available to everyone and they are usually quite helpful. They will tell you the current property taxes for the address, the tax rate and how to apply that to the assessed value. Ask about the 4 unit issue as well. As a realtor, when listing properties for sale, 1-4 units are considered residential and 5+ units are considered commercial. So, I believe you are correct, but check to be absolutely certain that the local rules are the same.

Realtors also have access to tax records through the multiple listing service. I am sure any of us would be happy to help with your research project if we are able.