Financing in 87501>Question Details

ranchotitira…, Home Buyer in Santa Fe, NM

How dependable is the SF water supply? That is our biggest concern about buying in SF now.

Asked by ranchotitirangi, Santa Fe, NM Sat Aug 24, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Financing in 87501

I would not be too happy with water supplied by Santa Fe City or Santa Fe County. This is particularly true as both rely increasing on water from the Rio Grand. If had to use it, I'd install some sort of filtration system for interior use -- maybe triple osmosis.

Some communities have their own wells and filtration systems. They can be better. Also many homes have their own wells. You can have the well tested -- for both volume and quality -- before you buy. If necessary, you either drill deeper sometimes and again you can always install filtration.

I'm lucky. I filter very fine sand out of my well water with a cheap filter and it tastes great and is perfectly drinkable.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 7, 2013
But I live about 25 minutes north of the Plaza in a low density area. As you get closer in, your options decrease.
Flag Sat Sep 7, 2013
Interesting that noone has taken a stab at this one!
Hot tubs and swimming pools have not been outlawed. It would seem that they would be the first to go. They are discouraging a type of grass lawns. Blue tiff I believe.
Flag Thu Nov 7, 2013
I guess before we seriously think about investing in a small second home, I want some kind of assurance that the city has a fairly solid back-up plan in case of an extended drought. Water has always been a big issue in NM and now I'm guessing it's like the elephant in the room for realtors and sellars? I love Santa Fe and spent time there growing up. Have long wanted to return for part of the year at least.
Flag Sat Aug 31, 2013
We are wondering the same thing. It's not just the residents and agriculture - more and more hotel rooms are going in and you can't control that water.
Flag Fri Aug 30, 2013