Hi I am settled in the UK. Can I get a mortgage from a US bank for buying property in the US?

Asked by Urvashi Bali Chopra, UK Tue Apr 1, 2008

Could you also please email me contact details of a few financial advisers I could speak to? Many thanks in advance.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jeff Marr, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Roseville, CA
Sun Apr 20, 2008
Urvashi - please tell me about your citizenship. If you're still considered a US citizen on a work visa, there's really no worries related to this matter. Other potential concerns would relate to occupancy (are you planning to purchase a rental or primary residence), and currency (not all lenders will accept pounds, believe it or not).......then there's all the usual concerns like down payment, employment and FICO scores.....let me know if I can help further!

thanks, Jeff Marr
Stanford Mortgage
1 vote
xyz, , 02780
Sun Apr 20, 2008
I work for Wachovia Mortgage FSB as a mortgage consultant and I have helped lots of friends from the UK and Ireland to buy real estate in the US. We, Wachovia, have great loan for Foreign nationals who buys properties in the US. With 30% down payment, you would not be required to show anything except a valid passport and funds to put as down payment.
Call me at +1 - 703 760 5664.

Look forward to hearing from you!


1 vote
Laarni G. Om…, , Orange County, CA
Tue Apr 1, 2008
Yes you can. You Have to get an Individual Tax ID Number and put , at least 30% down. I can refer you to a Wachovia representative based in San Fran. Please e-mail me.
1 vote
xyz, , 02780
Sat Apr 26, 2008
If you need a real estate agent who has experience in the UK and the US, please email Nancy Gordon at nancy@nancygordon.com or visit her website at http://www.nancygordon.com

0 votes
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sat Apr 26, 2008
Hi: A mortgage broker who specializes in Foreign investments just told me that you can do that with 30% down or if over 1M, $35% down. There are other criteira, but mainly you will need to set up a bank account in the U.S. and have verifiable money in there to draw from.

So, yes, it can be done, depending on the situation.

0 votes
Jim Cavoto, Agent, Denver, CO
Fri Apr 25, 2008
You could also use "hard money" if your putting 30% down- there are lots of options
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more