H1B expires shortly. I-797 awaited. Can I get a mortgage?

Asked by eshanpatvardhan, Tampa, FL Wed May 22, 2013

I'm in a tricky situation. My current H1b expires in about 45days. However, my employer will be extending it for another 3yrs. That process will be initiated by end of this month. I have an accepted offer on buying a house and am working towards the P&S right now. Closing date is scheduled for end of July 2013. We are in a good position financially and making a down-payment of more than 40% towards purchasing the house.

My question is:
Will I qualify for the mortgage? when my current stamped H1b expires shortly?
I will be having a valid approved visa extension (I-797) by the time of the closing date. I have been on H1B for last 3yrs (with 2 visa extensions) & my credit scores ate 740 .

Will the lenders accept a valid I-797? After all, it is a valid legal permit to live & work in the US.

Answers

8
Saisri.2k2, Home Buyer, Sun Prairie, WI
Fri Aug 12, 2016
Were you able to find the solution for your problem? If so could you help me with the Lender/company you went with? Appreciate your help.
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Fri May 24, 2013
Sounds like Jim Driscoll below has some current info.
I would contact a local lending professional to help with this answer.

I know this guy can be helpful: rtranchell@totalmortgage.com
Bob Tranchell Total Mortgage Services LLC (508) 367-5731 cell

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Jim Driscoll, , Lynnfield, MA
Thu May 23, 2013
I just reviewed the client's file that we closed with an expired H1b and how we did it. Call me to review at 617-529-9007
Jarred Alexa…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, South Boston, MA
Thu May 23, 2013
Per Chase most conservative guidelines that many lenders will follow:

Non-U.S. citizens must provide non-expired, official identification to confirm and document the applicant’s immigration status.

Documentation must include:

Identification type and number
Place of issuance
Issue and expiration dates
Any application to extend the stay and/or alter a visa status will not be accepted as official identification, until the approval is granted and evidenced. For example, an I-797, Notice of Action form, is not a visa and may not be used in place of a visa.
Thu May 23, 2013

Documentation must include:

Identification type and number
Place of issuance
Issue and expiration dates
Jim Driscoll, , Lynnfield, MA
Wed May 22, 2013
We just did a similar loan for another client in the exact situation. Call me or email me and I can have you talk to her as a reference also take a look at our other testimonials in the link below. My number is 617-529-9007
CH Naamad, Agent, Boston, MA
Wed May 22, 2013
Please consult a mortgage broker. They can answer this question for you better than anyone.
I think it is possible, but difficult to accomplish.
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Wed May 22, 2013
You need to be legal which you are. More that likely you will need the paperwork confirming your company is extending and possibly a letter from your immigration attorney confirming this as well.
Thanks a lot!! I really appreciate your advice.
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013