Gift letter and "proof" for down payment donation from father?

Asked by Cs, Tampa, FL Wed Jan 20, 2010

Hello, my father is willing to give me the 20% down payment for the purchase of a condo. When I spoke to a loan officer earlier today to talk about pre-qualification, he mentioned I would need a gift letter along with proof that my father was able to afford to give me the down payment. My father is ok with signing a gift letter but is not comfortable providing bank statements or other proof. Do all lenders require this or are there some that will simply accept a gift letter?


Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Wed Jan 20, 2010
Sounds like they are asking a bit much. The gift letter and proof of funds should be sufficient. Mentioned earlier- an official letter from your Dad's bank should be enough to "prove" that he has the funds- people change thier mind too.... just cause your Dad has the money... he may later decide to reneg on his promise.
3 votes
Hi Mott So can a donor renew legally on his promise per a signed gift letter.. Is a gift letter in itself not legally binding on the donor?
Flag Thu Jul 13, 2017
Not true on an FHA loan- FHA specifies a statement be submitted in those words. Conventional loans do not require the donor to provide where the funds came from- just an image of the check/wire confirmation.
Flag Thu Dec 8, 2016
Carl Henker, , 95928
Wed Jan 20, 2010

You will find that what your loan officer is requesting is an industry standard. Bank statements will be required from your father or the gift may not be used. You will need to supply the statements prior to your loan approval.
2 votes
Michael Sand…, Agent, Stuart, FL
Wed Jan 20, 2010
Get your Father's Bank officer to write a letter stating that he has sufficient funds for a down payment of $XX. Lender should be fine with that.
2 votes
Steven Pahl, Agent, Tampa, FL
Thu Jan 21, 2010
The gift letter is just that, a statement of where the money is coming from and why you are receiving it. Many lenders have a standard form, others just want a generic statement. A copy of your bank statement showing the money has been deposited would be enough proof (along with the cancelled check possibly), the lender shouldn't need any of your fathers financial records. Murray's answer points out a good caution, the amount may have tax consequences you should be aware of prior to accepting the money.

Steven J. Pahl


Web Reference:
1 vote
, ,
Wed Jan 20, 2010
Hi, Cs

Your lender should have a gift form letter that they use to give to you. Typically the top portion states the amount of the gift, the relationship between you and the donor and that the gift does not have to be paid back. The bottom half is filled by your father's bank stating which account the funds came from and nothing more.

Along with that, you'll need to provide your lender with a copy of the certified check and just bring the actual one to the closing table. Mind you: if you deposit the check into your account, you'll need to provide your lender with an updated bank statement refecting the deposit. Depending on how soon your closing, to save time and paperwork, make the certified check out to you and just bring it to the close.
1 vote
Murray Balkc…, Agent, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Wed Jan 20, 2010
Your father shouldn't need to turn over bank statements. What they really want to see is an official letter from your father's bank stating that he has the money in his account, and the amount mentioned in the letter should be for only the amount of which he is giving you.

Thinking about the gift, Last time I checked, the IRS allows something like $11,000 gift per person per year without tax consequence. So depending on the amount of the gift, you may owe Uncle Sam taxes on some of it. I would highly recommend checking that with a quick phone call to your accountant, and if you don't have one, get one. There are ways to massage that such as if you are married, your dad could gift up to the max to you, and again to your wife. If your father is married, he and his wife could each gift you the max, each year. Just something extra to think about.
1 vote
Henry.jeanni…, Home Buyer, Tampa, FL
Sun Apr 2, 2017
If I signed a letter to gift my portion of a house away how many days do I have if I wanted to cancel it .
0 votes
, ,
Mon Jun 15, 2015
You will need the gift letter and an asset statement from your father's bank generally 2 months of bank statements to source funds.. This will show that the funds are not mattress money. Mattress money are funds that are not held in bank account can not be sourced. Let mw know if you have any further questions I would be more than happy to help!
Stephanie Adams
Senior Loan Officer NMLS # 1001484
1511 N. Westshore Blvd. Suite 260
Tampa, FL 33607
Direct (813) 377-2226 Fax (813) 377-4071
Mobile (678) 296-2488
0 votes
Asucena Balt…, , La Mesa, CA
Wed Jun 10, 2015
All you need is this "Gift Letter" (copy and paste)
and prof where the money is coming from, it could be a letter from Bank or Bank Statement.

Asucena Baltierrez
0 votes
, ,
Thu Jan 21, 2010
The correct answer is as Carl Henker stated.

Banks need to see a copy of the donor's bank statement. It is a banking guideline-it's not asking too much, your lender is only asking to play by the rules.

Most underwriters do not care if the money was in the donor's account for a day or a week or a month-it's not the same a verifying your own funds which have to be seasoned. They don't care where your father is getting the money from. They only care about where you're getting your funds.

If your father is the private type and doesn't want anybody to see his account, ask your lender if it is ok for him to open a new checking account in his name so he can deposit your 20% deposit there. This way it won't be an intrusion on your father's privacy.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.
0 votes
But the rules according to Fannie Mae don't require that much information. Also I laughed out loud at your statement of "your lender is only asking to play by the rules." considering that it was the banks that failed to follow the rules which led to the financial crisis.
Flag Thu Sep 29, 2016
Chris Suarez…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Spring Hill, FL
Thu Jan 21, 2010
Lenders want to see that he was able to give you the money and not have to repay it. If he is using a bank account, then just the front page is usually good. If a Line of Credit is used, then again just the front page.

Chris Suarez
Suarez Home & Finance Corp.
0 votes
hi Chris why does a loan officer ask for a gift letter?
Flag Fri Jun 7, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more