Financing Second Multi Family house

Asked by frogie909, Boston, MA Tue Feb 5, 2013

Hey, My question is how much do i have to put down for a down payment on my second multi family home? I currently own a 2 family (which i live in and is primary residence) that was appraised at $375,000 2 years ago... and i owe 266,000 so I don't have "pmi" or any of that stuff anymore.. i also have $12,000 in cash for repairs on new house once i get it. Now i heard for a "commercial investment" i would need down. But for a house that will be my primary residence I need less down like  percent. Now i am not trying to cheat the system at all cause i would actually more into this new residence no problem and rent out my current apartment. And if i do this how and why would this be a hard sell to the underwriter?...putting less down would allow me to buy another house now apposed to saving for another year which is well worth making a move...Thank you... Any explanations or suggestions on how this could be done would be much appreciated.

Eric

Answers

9
Mario Pavli, Agent, Boston, MA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
You would need 20% down and I agree with Richard about keeping the extra money for TLC.

Best Of Luck
James Furlong, Agent, Brookline, MA
Mon Feb 11, 2013
Work with an experienced mortgage broker. Lenders will have different programs with different requirements. Be prepared to produce a lot of documentation and information. It is still possible to do what you want to do but it may take some time.
Moy Lopez, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Quincy, MA
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Know the rules, play the game.

Step by step, how to build an empire: You could take out a home equity loan on you primary residence for the down payment on your next mutli-family which will require 25% down. Purchase a distressed property at a discount using a FNMA Renovation loan for investors.

We will finance 75% of your purchase price and construction costs. Now you will have two properties. Then move to the second property. Establish it as your primary residence and season the mortgage for a year so that you can use the new and improved value to refinance the mortgage and get some cash out or get a second home equity loan. Its a slow but sure method.

There are always bumps in the road so make sure you work with a reno loan specialist.
CH Naamad, Agent, Boston, MA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Please contact Rich Clayton. He works miracle: rclayton@msamortgage.com
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
If you are so keen on getting another property focus on a single family that may need some tlc. You could get minimum financing assuming you have some reserve $ saved.
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
4 units or less is residential. 5 units plus is commercial needing at least 20 % down.
frogie909, Home Buyer, Boston, MA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
i meant to say in this...Commercial investment is %20Percent down( correct?) and if i do primary resident some how it is %10percent down
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
It would be a hard sell because you're moving from one multifamily home to another. You could make a case if you're moving from a multifamily home to a single-family home. What you're doing right now is a lateral move. If this other home is very close to your current home I don't see how you could ever get this done without calling it an investment property
Stacie Chand…, , Worcester, MA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Hi Eric.

That is definitely a mortgage question. So I have forwarded your question to a Senior Mortgage Planner, Sean Callan, with Drew Mortgage (scallan@drewmortgage.com). Once he get's back to me with the answer, I will pass it along to you.

Enjoy the day.