Federal Housing Tax Credit and Married Filing Separately?

Asked by Eric, 95687 Thu Jul 30, 2009

Since my spouse has made a significantly higher income these past two years, we would exceed the income limit eligibility for the federal housing tax credit if we filed our taxes married filing jointly this coming tax year. If my adjusted gross income is less than 75K this year, can we receive a $4,000 tax credit if we filed married filing separately this coming tax year?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mark Risting, , Schaumburg, IL
Thu Jul 30, 2009

The short answer is yes. However, there are a number of other tax breaks you both will be giving up.
You should consult with your tax attorney to determine if filing seperately is the way to go.

Mark Risting
Prudential Starck Realtors
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more