FHA Investment Loan

Asked by Cassandra Skipper, Canal Winchester, OH Thu Feb 14, 2008

What are the requirements of getting FHA loan for investment property? I've been told they are a little different than a reqular FHA loan. I am considering purchasing a duplex. I would live in one side and rent out the other side. Also, is there a website that I can look at that gives me more information on FHA investment property? What is "Express path financing"?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Chuck Pearson, , Columbus, OH
Thu Feb 21, 2008
As long as you are living in one of the units it is no different to get a 2 unit than a single family. in fact, if the 2nd unit is rented you will be bale to use 75% of the lease amount as qualifying income. i have done several of these purchases for friends and family over my 8 years of specializing in government loans. Be carefull about moving up to a 4 unit. HUD does not impose these guidlines, but many lenders will restrict LTV and / or require landlord counseling. Finally, Express path financing is nothing more that a repackage DE endoursed loan. Lenders that meet HUD's requirements are able to underwrite the files internally and not send to HUD (direct Endoursement) Express path is allowing some brokers (non mortgage banks) to have some of the requirements waived so that they can act in the market place like a direct endoursed lender. there are a lot of lenders that are jumping on the FHA band wagon this year. It is important that you work with a lender and Loan Officer that has the experience to get your loan closed smoothly. Check references. Are they a member of the Realtor Board in your area? Are they a memer of the ohio Mortgage Bankers Association? If you would like to send me an email i will be happy to provide Realtor and attorney referrences. My firm closes as many FHA loans in one month as most LO's do all year. (source is Mortgage Originator Magazine).
Web Reference:  http://www.chuckpearson.com
1 vote
Tony Grego, , Indianapolis, IN
Thu Feb 21, 2008
To answer your question go to hud.gov and fha.gov. This will give you the basics. Then find a mortgage broker you feel comfortable working with. The "big" guys will not give you the personal attention you need. If you have any questions or need a referral drop me a email.
Good Luck
Tony Grego - Indiana Mortgage Broker
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more