Can underwriter make you file taxes?

Asked by Ksjdt08, Tewksbury, MA Fri Mar 15, 2013

Hi everyone-

So my husband is self employed and going for this loan by himself. We are in underwriting and today my loan officer said that because we can't prove that we had 10 k of income come from a homeowner ( no 1099 obviously, it was a homeowner ) that we either need to file taxes or get a profit and loss statement from our accountant. The underwriter has our 2010 & 2011 taxes. Why is she requesting that we also prove 2012 earnings? We have 1099's for all other income for 2012- just that one job for 10k was a homeowner job. We have cancelled checks and invoices for the job- why isn't that good enough?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


, ,
Fri Mar 15, 2013

This video every buyer should be watching
0 votes
, ,
Fri Mar 15, 2013
Because 1099 income only shows income and does not take into account expenses and business deductions on that income. The loan officer is correct, you will need a profit and loss which will tell the show income after expenses for 2012. Your only other option is to file taxes for 2012 and then wait before the lender can pull your transcripts of tax returns from the IRS showing the amount of income filed matches the return you provided. That could take many weeks after filing the returns.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more