Financing in Milwaukee>Question Details

Robert, Home Seller in Milwaukee, WI

Can a parent or someone other than the buyer pay earnest money for the buyer in an FHA and/or Conventional loan transaction?

Asked by Robert, Milwaukee, WI Mon Jul 29, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Robert,

Generally a parent or other family member can "gift" money to a buyer to use towards the down payment in the purchase of a home, regardless if it's a FHA or conventional mortgage. The earnest money payment is applied towards the down payment, so this should be OK.

The lender in the transaction will want verification and documentation from the person giving the gift, generally in the form of a "gift letter," stating that this money is being given to the buyer and not loaned to them. Check with the lender to see what documentation they will need...they will have the final say in how this money is handled between the family member and the buyer.

Good luck!

Kris Plechaty @ First Weber Group Realtors
Menomonee Falls, WI
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 29, 2013
Great answers so far and do make sure you talk with lender asap. I have run into issues where the money needs to be in the account for a period of time - once it was as long as one month. They call this seasoned money.

The lender will have these answers for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 29, 2013
Yes and no,

FHA loans permit gifts from family members, regardless of how much the buyer is putting down. As far as paying the earnest money, you really just need to go about it the right way. The best way to do this, and avoid having to jump through additional hoops for an underwriter, is to just gift them the money and have them write the check for earnest money. If you write the check directly to the seller or realtor, then it will probably work, but you are going to potentially create a lot of extra paperwork and hassle for yourselves.

On a conventional loan, the guidelines state that they can get a gift from a family member so long as the buyer has a minimum of 5% of their own money into the transaction. But again, you would be much better off gifting them the money first as opposed to just writing the check.

This isnt to say a lender/underwriter won't approve things if you write the EMD check directly. I'm just saying from experience that this will probably create a lot of headache if you do it this way.

Take the path of least resistance and just do the gift first
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 29, 2013
Yes, Tim and Kris are correct! If you want to discuss your financing options with a local lender please let me know.

Mandy Fritsche, Prospect Mortgage, Mortgage Loan Officer, NMLS# 557211
262-327-5700 Cell, 877-868-9198 Fax,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 29, 2013
thanks a lot, I wasn't sure this was possible and it was raising my red flags
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 29, 2013
Yes. The loan officer might ask for a copy of the check and if there is a different name that might raise a question and a gift letter might be requested.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 29, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer