Buying a house FHA loan but married?

Asked by Andres, Houston, TX Wed Feb 18, 2009

I want to buy a home. I am married in another country but have claimed my taxes with wife last year. I want to buy a house but I dont want to include her in any part of the process. What does the bank and FHA requiere? Can I buy the house now? we will divorce in 3 months.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Marty S, , Irvine, CA
Thu Feb 19, 2009
Texas is a community property state, however, if she is willing to sign a quit claim deed, you should be ok. FHA will still want to see her credit report to analyze if there are any joint debts that have to be included in your debt to income ratio. Sit down with a trusted mortgage broker to discuss your options.

I am a mortgage broker. If I can be of service, please let me know!

Martin Smith

Precision Funding
877-238-6324 Ext 704
877-238-6324 FAX
1 vote
Texas Banker, , Houston, TX
Mon Feb 8, 2010
You need to look into qualifying for the new home by yourself.

If you are not officially divorced, conventional financing does not require your spouse to be on the loan, FHA will.

You can avoid a lot of headaches by putting an addtional 1.5% more and going conventional.

Call me for further discussion / help.

Erik Konar
Mortgage Banker
Office: 281-583-0674 Fax: 713-400-8915
1 vote
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Feb 19, 2009
Andres....You need to check with your divorce attorney. I don't think the quit claim deed works in Texas to keep a potentially former spouse from claiming ownership of the asset. From what I understand is that you probably should wait until after the divorce is final to purchase property. There are some ways around this, but if she is not here, would she sign a post-nup and go to a US embassy to have it notarized and then send it to you, while you are in the middle of a divorce? Somehow I find this would be difficult. Good luck and welcome to USA.
1 vote
Andres, Home Buyer, Houston, TX
Mon Feb 23, 2009
Unfortunatelly the divorce is going to take a while and I need housing. Im a citizen and married her in China but havent gotten married in the USA. So maybe i can do a post nub now if I cant do a quit claim. We are in good terms! Thank you all for the very helpful answers!!!
0 votes
Lacinda, Agent, Houston, TX
Thu Feb 19, 2009
You should wait until you are divorced. Texas is a community property state.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more