Any idea what the current cost/sq.ft for new construction might average now for a custom-build in Puako, on Kaua`i?

Asked by huladancers2001, Lihue, HI Sun Aug 26, 2012

I have house plans, but had to delay construction since I last got a quote in 2006 when it was roughly $200.

Answers

2
drbillbates, Home Owner, Lihue, HI
Thu Jan 17, 2013
Aloha,
Lots of qualified construction workers all over Kauai willing to build for a lot less than $2.50 per sf. if you are willing to be your own general contractor. I built a nice home (had land, septic, and water hookup already) for about $180,000 (1,230 sf). You need to get a certified electrician and plumber. This is required by HI law. Good luck.
Merv
I'm a local (born here.... 3rd generation). All depends on who you know and patience. What will kill you is the rent while you build. My advice...move here, rent, see if you like it, meet some building people, and contract yourself. Will save you 30% right off the top. But, requires patience. This is Hawaii.
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
I was going to ask the same question. I was hoping that someone would have your response. I have dealt with subs in California, Nevada and Oregon. Frankly, the most trouble I had was with the general contractor I had in Lincoln City, OR.
Flag Sun Mar 10, 2013
Randy Brumme…, , Princeville, HI
Sun Aug 26, 2012
Aloha,
It seems the cost, according to some builders, is around $2.50 a square foot. And of course it goes up from there depending on how high end you go. I'm guessing you already have the land...
Randy Brummett R(S) randy@hawaiilife.com 808-635-7680
Randy... I think you mean $250.00 per square foo,t don't you? Otherwise a 2000 sf home would cost only $5,000.00.
I know of a licensed builder on Kauai, who says he can build for less than $200.00 psf but he would need to look at the plans since foundation costs can differ with terrain. Not to mention height of ceilings and quality of finish...
Flag Mon Oct 28, 2013
$2.50 per sq ft or $250 per sq ft?
Flag Fri Sep 14, 2012
Thanks, Randy. Yes, I bought it before my divorce, and was hoping to build, but may end up doing a trade for something already built instead.
Flag Sun Aug 26, 2012