Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Ferrysburg : Real Estate Advice

  • All6
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying3
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 4
Wed Apr 9, 2014
Sally Grenier answered:
A home's assessed value is usually available through you county records dept. But keep in mind that assessed value and fair market value (what a home would sell for in today's market) are two totally different things. If you're thinking of buying, you should consider hiring a Realtor as a Buyer's Agent. He/she can help answer questions like this. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Mar 6, 2012
The Katy Team answered:
It depends on your marketplace. Are rental listings listed on an MLS database by agents, or are they listed by home owners on a site like If your answer is the former; contact a local rental agency (not necessarily a realtor) to help you determine value. If your answer is the latter you can begin by simply comparing your homes features to some of the active listings on the market. No matter who is dominating the rental market in your area, I would always suggest to use a management company to place a renter. It will save you many headaches... ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 2, 2010
Dan Chase answered:
I wrote forest below. Up here we call it " tree growth". Putting you land into that category can save taxes, with the warnings below in effect.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 13, 2008
Dave Turnquist answered:
In Texas the taxable value is determined by the County Appraisal District. Each year your home/property is given a new tax value. Under Texas law the value is supposed to be equal to the market value, but clearly it is impossible for the appraisal district to do a formal appraisal on every home each each year. In actuality the properties are appraised much like we, as realtors do a CMA for a neighborhood. They look at the neighborhood sales data on MLS for each neighborhood and come up with "average" values for the neighborhood and apply them to the homes there. Homeowners receive a preliminary tax appraisal and are permitted to "protest" the amount if they feel it is incorrect. Most homeowners will ask a local realtor to to a CMA on their home that takes into consideration the condition of the property that could possibly bring the market value down. They then take this information to the protest meeting with the appraisal official and usually are succesful in reducing the "taxable value" of the property. As a homeowner you want to have the LOWEST taxable value possible so you pay less property tax. The "taxable value" and the market value are very often not the same in reality. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice