Kid-friendly events

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Mon Jul 30, 2012

For families moving to Orlando this summer, what are kid-friendly events they should check out?

Answers

2
Jeremy Ide’s answer
Jeremy Ide, Agent, Windermere, FL
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Hello!!!! It's Orlando!!!! Home of 4 Disney theme parks, 2 water parks, shopping districts, 2 universal theme parks, 3 Sea World parks, Wet n Wild water park, and many resorts and on and on and on. I've been here for over 20 years and we are very spoiled to live in such a wonderful place. Contact me if you are moving here and would like a personal attention regarding your move to Central Florida.

http://www.MagicKeyRealty.com
Carl Head, Agent, Orlando, FL
Mon Jul 30, 2012
There is nothing kid friendly in Central Florida, especially during the summer. First of all, it’s as hot as the surface of the sun here. The local kids don’t go outside during the summer. All they want to do is stay inside, play video games, eat junk food and get fat. The theme parks are all crowded with people from all over the world, many of whom apparently are only allowed to wear deodorant back in their own country. I’m surprised how many women in other countries still don’t shave under their arms……try explaining that to a kid. The roads, stores and restaurants are all crowed too. You can forget about going anywhere in a hurry, grabbing a bite real quick, or running in and out of Publix. The bugs are bad this time or year also, especially since we didn’t have a freeze last winter. Orange County (where Orlando is) was once “Mosquito County” in fact. Mosquitoes being a carrier of the West Nile virus, among other goodies. Then we have the love bugs, who’s’ only purpose in life is to copulate and make a mess out of the front of your car. The uninitiated will find this fascinating, and the kids will always ask the inevitable “what are they doing?”. It rains every day here during the summer. I don’t mean a light rain, but torrential downpours every afternoon. This leaves the remainder of each day soggy and humid. Its hurricane season during the 1st part of the summer. This would be a fun time for the kids to learn how to live without electricity for days (or weeks), kind of like camping, but indoors. They can learn the differences between a hurricane “watch “and a “warning” too, along with what makes a storm a “Cat 1” “Cat 2”….etc. Its alligator mating season here during the summer. This means that the amorous gators are roaming all over every lake, pond and pool in the state looking for love (and your poodle too, if you’re not careful). It is probably a treat for the kids to see a trapper (Mr. Lefty) catch a live gator, but you might want to have them turn away when they bring out the “bang stick”. Did I forget to mention the amoebas in the lakes and rivers.? They thrive in the shallow, warm water. They like to crawl up your nose, in your mouth or other orifices and eat your brain. You won’t get any relief from the crowds, but you might find 1 of the local water parks refreshing (if you find standing in line for an hour to go on a 15 second slide in to a pool filled with water that has a strange green tint "refreshing".)
All these things said, if you do send clients here, you should probably show them this, have them sign some form of disclosure, and send them our way.

Growing up, I was a military dependant lived all over the country. I’ve been here since 1978, and would never consider going anywhere else.

Carl Head
Very awesome reply, thanks for taking the time to share with the community!
Flag Tue Jul 31, 2012
Awesome reply Carl!
Flag Tue Jul 31, 2012