Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in Dutchess County : Real Estate Advice

  • All37
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying17
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 199
Wed Jun 14, 2017
Sally Grenier answered:
I'm sorry, but this isn't the place to file a complaint. This is just a website. You can try contacting your state real estate commission and see if they have a process for consumers to file a complaint about an agent. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Mar 18, 2017
Scott Godzyk answered:
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 12, 2017
Yogeshsb answered:
If Interested in to stay as a Paying Guest for a reasonable rent , Let me know - IBM Poughkeepsie is 3 Minutes from My Home.

email at
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Dec 13, 2016
Lee answered:
You definitely need to filter all lead since its highly toxic. The sodium is an annoyance. The calcium and magnesium will cause problems in your pipes. I solved my problem with a German made electronic anti-scaler and a few good water filters for drinking and cooking. Water in Round Rock TX has a hardness of 11 grains per gallon average, which is considered hard according to USGS standards. Hard water scale in pipes will surely occur in the long run, but problems with your sprinkler valves due to calcium scale are absolutely common in this area mainly because of high evaporation in the outdoor summer heat. Hard water will also cause common ice maker and dish washer related issues. I always say preventive maintenance is an owners choice. I personally dislike dealing with calcium deposits around my faucets, showers and sinks, but above all, the thing I dislike the most is the slippery feeling in your body, after taking a hard earned shower, at the end of the day with softened water. Its like washing yourself with sea water. The sodium added to the water just wont allow proper soap rinsing and you never get to feel really clean. My house came with a huge Salt Water Softener, with two big tanks that took a lot of space in my garage which is not huge. After a long research, I decided to replace our salt softener with a Vulcan-Texas Anti-Scaler from Techno Mechanical Solutions in Austin. An affordable and eco-friendly way to prevent hard water issues without using salts. I was able to do the installation myself over the old softener pipes. The Vulcan requires no maintenance, just install and forget about it. No more salt buying trips to Lowes and carrying those back breaking bags. No more slippery feeling after taking a shower. No more calcium buildup around my fixtures or sprinkler valves. Water treated with Vulcan is safe for garden irrigation, your sprinkler system may also be protected. Vulcan dismantles prior limestone accumulations. Any pipe material may be treated up to 20 inches in diameter. The maintenance free Vulcan is very compact and sits of top of your pipe, saving all garage floor space for your favorite toys. Great for eliminating water lines and improve filtration in pools and spas. German engineering with 10 year warranty. Treatment for a normal size house with up to 1 1/2 inch pipe around $1000. Vulcan-Texas is space saver, effective, simple and affordable. Forgot to mention, my morning coffee tastes better without salt. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 18, 2016
Kathy Burgreen answered:
If you are looking for new construction, you need to work with a realtor because builder contracts are written to favor the builder - not the buyer. Realtors know how to negotiate so you will get some clauses in your favor. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Nov 15, 2016
Registerbz answered:
I am a buyer too.To be honest, I don't understand why we can not calling the sellers attorney? My attorney made mistake too. He needs dealing with lots of cases, and delayed and forgotten to check the email for our case, or maybe too many emails for them hard to check, etc, I don't know. but he didn't follow up my case, and delayed the important email for me, until I asked my agent to find out, seller atty already send the contract out 3 days ago, but I only got 5 days to responds back! So 3 days already left, and I only have 2 days. I wonder if I did ask my agent to find out what would happen?! I may miss my contract! it's so annoying, and I want to call seller's attorney to cc me on the email, can anyone tell me if I can do that? ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 22, 2016
Kim Rock answered:
Builders do negotiate on upgrades and lot fees, but generally not on the base prices (at least not big builders like Toll Brothers, maybe a smaller builder would). I highly recommend you hire an agent to represent you - as your agent may know of specific past incentives they have offered and the best way to get yourself what you want, vs trying to go at it alone. There are also other things your agent can do such as stay on top of the building process, find you a pre-dry wall home inspector, negotiate repairs and make sure you are protected in case of Radon or other common issues in the home that you may not know about without an agent. There is no cost to you to have an agent, either. The builder pays us directly. Always good to have an advocate on your side. :) I am happy to help anyone in PA or NJ (I am licensed in both) if they are thinking of buying new construction as I have sold over a dozen new construction homes with many popular home builders and know the ins and outs for a successful transaction. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 12, 2016
Jacob asked:
I found a condo that is a short-sale and placed an offer on it. Both the bank and sellers have accepted my offer. The sellers were up-front with me and told me that they would be filling…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 16, 2016
Kathy Burgreen answered:
You have several issues to deal with:

1. Your husband's income of $30K is not high enough. To buy anything in Dutchess County, you need an income of at least $75K especially if you're planning to spend $175 - 225K on a mortgage.

2. Any income earned off the books does not count. This means your husband is the only one who can apply for a mortgage. Once you start a job with documented income, you need to be employed for 30 days & have 1 month of paystubs to verify employment.

3. In addition to your $20 - 25K down payment, you will also need cash for closing costs. This means a few thousand dollars.

You need to continue renting until you at last have 1 month of documented paystubs.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jul 23, 2016 asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed May 25, 2016
Ddymax1 asked:
fixer uppers, needs rehab, handyman specials, needs tlc, etc.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 15, 2016
Rrosa1958 asked:
My mother-in-law bought are new condo for us which I pay her rent. She will sell it to me for a low price. My Income is 93,000.00.we pay her 2000.00 rent every month and never late. can…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 29, 2016
Eric Helmers answered:
Honestly, you don't have to be tactful in bringing this to your agent's attention. Bringing children or pets on showings is highly unprofessional and your agent should understand and react accordingly when you bring it to their attention. Simply be friendly but direct with your feelings. A true professional who is full time will understand. If they can't afford a babysitter, nanny or daycare or they are part time, then maybe they were not the right choice in the beginning and you should consider a change if they push back on your request.

I understand that as a realtor and professional, that some mothers may have an occasional time or two that they don't have a choice or they are accommodating a short notice request by you. Hell, I've had my nieces with me on a showing or two when trying to help buyers see a property on short notice in a hot market. But no agent should make it a routine practice. Good luck!
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 27, 2015
Karen Peyton answered:
Yes, it is all quite confusing, so it will be important you read the deeding information for a townhouse and condo as "appearances" don't count.

Townhouse = Deeded ownership of land and building, plus an undivided deeded interest in common areas/elements --- Unless otherwise noted!
Condo = Ownership of space between ceiling and floor, and deeded undivided interest in "all" land and buildings in the complex/community.
Coop = Operates as a corporation (hence the name,) which provides "shares" of interests in the land and building.

Clear as mud? Yes, I thought so! Consult a real estate professional in your area to provide all purchase and deeding information.

Good Luck!
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...
Search Advice