Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in Douglas County : Real Estate Advice

  • All0
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying0
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 42
Sat Jun 10, 2017
Doo_doo24 answered:
I am looking for a home to rent in Lawrence area for me my wife and three boys. Looking for a three bedroom or two to make ends meet. Any information would be greatly appreciated
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 18, 2017
Chandraschmitt asked:
3 months ago we found a real estate agent to purchase a home. We were required to sign a 6 month contract that stipulated we would only use their firm to purchase a home. We are doing a…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 22, 2016
sck.7448 asked:
Mon Nov 30, 2015
Taycollins42 answered:
I think it's really important to look around before hiring anyone for something like this. My suggestion would be to talk to people you know that have had fences put in recently. They should be able to tell you who to talk to. Once you have some suggestions, you should meet a few of them. That way you'll be able to pick the best option, and you can be more confident about that decision.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Jul 18, 2014
Laurabarnett2012 asked:
are there any lenders in Lawrence that would lend to someone with a 595 score for an FHA?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 11, 2014
The Kansas Homeownership Assistance Program (KS-HAP) is a great program. It is a 'First-Time Homebuyers' down payment assistance. FHA requires a minimum cash investment of 3.5% of the purchase price to be included in the financing. The KS-HAP program covers 4% of the purchase price, which would cover the necessary cash investment and leave some funds to cover items paid outside of the closing or earnest money deposit that was made at contract.

The USDA/RD program is available in areas very near Lawrence and is a 100% financing program with NO downpayment required. This is the "Guaranteed" program. A VA loan is of course an option, if you qualify. Not all banks and mortgage lenders are participating in the program.

Here is a link to the website:
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 23, 2013
Marcia Kelly answered:
I assume you mean "transaction broker, " a form of representation in KS that is not "agency." Here's what the law says: The transaction broker protects the confidences of both parties:

If the transaction is the sale of one to four residential units or the sale of agricultural real estate, the following information shall not be disclosed by a transaction broker without the consent of all parties:

1)that a buyer is willing to pay more than the purchase price offered for the property
2)that a seller is willing to accept less than the asking price for the property
3)what the motivating factors are for any party buying or selling the property
4)that a seller or buyer will agree to financing terms other than those offered; or
any information or personal confidences about a party to the transaction which might place the other party at an advantage over the party, unless the disclosure is required by law or failure to disclose such information would constitute fraudulent misrepresentation.

Marcia Kelly
Keller Williams, Topeka, KS
(785) 249-3989
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 21, 2013
Nathan Paradis answered:
Hi there BXMASON.

What's your timeframe? Hard to predict inventory with any degree of certainty so you might feel out a couple of us local pros, find a good fit, and have your buyer's agent help you keep abreast of what's available.

To answer your question - yes. Naturally, with more time to scout, and some flexibility in your date of possession, you should be able to find the right place. It might even be within the city limits.

Do you need to sell property in Manhattan prior to moving out this way?

Give a ring Mon-Sat 8-8 or leave a message after hours if you'd like to chat.

Nate Paradis
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 12, 2013
Rob Lang :) answered:
For the most part, rent to own homes have halted due to mortgage reform. Once you choose a REALTOR, he will show you what other options are available such as lease purchase, contract for deed, etc. I can provide a FREE list of lease purchase, contract for deed, etc. type homes for sale. You can contact me through my web reference below.


This communication is provided to you for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon by you. At Home Kansas is not a mortgage lender and you should contact a mortgage lender directly to learn more about specific mortgage loan products and your respective eligibility for such mortgage loan products.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Sep 23, 2013
Stan Trekell answered:
In a word, no. I inform my out-of-area buyers that Lawrence is probably the most expensive place in the State of Kansas to purchase a home. With that said, no one complains when they go to resell. But, as I am fond of saying to would-be home buyers, there is an "admission price" for the privilege of living in Lawrence. It is a great place to call home, but most decent dwellings start at $100K and more likely around $125K if you really want to get down to brass tacks.

Stan Trekell
Realty Executives
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 15, 2013
Nathan Paradis answered:
Hey Flyfish,

Congrats on early retirement and welcome back in advance!

"What does Lawrence offer folks like us now a days?" - Pretty dynamic array of properties w/ Home Owners Association (HOA) in that price range. I'm showing 18 active listings w/in that price range at the moment; built anywhere from 1951 to 2008; from 1481-4700 sq ft; 2-5 beds/2-5 baths. Almost 1/2 of these have been on the market for 150 days. Kind of all over the place so you should be able to find something in the area you decide on.

Looks like 3 units have sold at Hobbs Taylor in the past ~year. Nothing showing active/available in our MLS at the moment.

There's been some change since you left town so you might spend a little time exploring to be certain of your location, if at all possible.

I'd be inclined to drop a nice payment on a 15-yr note and then seek other investment opportunities for some/all of the remaining funds. But I'm not a financial planner, so, grain of salt...

I know Diane Fry does a lot of VA loans locally, so you might give her a shout, if only to feel things out:

Perhaps you'd appreciate working with another vet (9yr AD USAF) in this pursuit? Feel free to poke around my site (linked below) and drop me line if you need any tips or a refresher on buying/selling real estate in Lawrence.

Nate Paradis
Chief Properties
Voice/Text: 785.550.8947
... more
2 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 14, 2013
Stan Trekell answered:
What website are you using to search listings? Perhaps I can be of assistance.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 9, 2013
Rob Lang :) answered:
Hi Brian,

You will not have an easy time finding a rental property with any pet no less two 50# dogs. Just check CraigsList for rental properties and search for the ones that allow pets to confirm this. You don't have to worry about that if you buy.

The next thing is the tax savings you have on a property you own vs all your rent money being thrown away and no tax savings or equity.

You do have to be careful about which type of property you purchase and you will want a local real estate professional on your side.

Many buyers also desire to keep the property afterwards and build wealth by having the tenants pay off the mortgage and use a property manager like myself who is also in real estate and who also owns a national tenant screening company to find the best tenants.

You don't need to email me but you can. The key thing is to use the link below to search for your fenced yard three bedroom property with a fireplace, 2 car garage and basement. You can even set up email alerts with your search criteria so you will be notified first.

I just wrote up a VA offer last night and have a few VA transactions every year. I can recommend a great lender who just quoted 30 Year Fixed Rate VA Loan @ 3.250% to that buyer.

Thank you for serving our country! Best of luck to you in your new home search.

This communication is provided to you for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon by you. At Home Kansas is not a mortgage lender and you should contact a mortgage lender directly to learn more about specific mortgage loan products and your respective eligibility for such mortgage loan products.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 8, 2013
cindyrquick answered:
They should have told you or should tell you. That is one of those things that we are in.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 9, 2012
Rob Lang :) answered:
Hi Annie,

I agree with John's assessment but would add a few more things. I would definitely go with 3 bedroom because they sell much faster than 2 bedrooms because most buyers do not want 2 bedroom properties. While you may live in it for a few years before renting it out, in 10, 20, 30 or however many years you will eventually want to sell or exchange it. You want to always think of your exit strategy (how easy it will be to sell) when you consider buying a property.

Besides choosing a REALTOR who can best help you identify the highest return on your investment by selecting the type of rental property that works best with your investment plan, you might want to make sure that REALTOR also provides property management and tenant screening capabilities in case you need to turn to him for assistance.

Selecting a tenant without a background tenant screening is an invitation to disaster as some tenants make the "rounds" from one landlord who doesn't screen to another.

Besides being a KS licensed REALTOR, I also am a KS licensed private investigator and also own a tenant screening and employment screening and property management business.

Tenant screening gives you peace of mind for free since the tenant pays for the screening fee.

The right professional to guide you through all this will make your investment property experience be a pleasant one.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 8, 2012
My NC Homes Team answered:
Almost any bank can work with you depending on your credit scores, and income. Your referring to FHA loans which are common.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Sep 30, 2012
Rob Lang :) answered:
Your REALTOR should also be able to tell you about the exclusion on this property, that they bought the property on 06/14/2005 from the Bradley's, etc.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 5, 2012
Rob Lang :) answered:
Best to check with your lender as to what is best for your situation. Most people buy before they leave their job. Otherwise, filling out a loan application with 1 week on the job becomes problematic. There are some exceptions such as if you are a firefighter here and are going to be a firefighter there. Again, check with your lender as to what you should do for your particular circumstances. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 2, 2012
Rob Lang :) answered:
Tim certainly has everything well spelled out below. The only thing I would add would be to ask the title company to let you know which rights were transferred to you when you bought your house and land. They usually have attorneys working for them or in the case of Capital Title; it is owned by an attorney. Only if this doesn't get you the answers you need would you need to hire your attorney. ... more
1 vote 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 10, 2012
Stan Trekell answered:
Getting it right:

Your question illustrates a great point. Real estate is so much more than just legal terms and jargon. It requires that Realtors are attentive to detail and, as required by law, maintain their right to practice real estate by continuing their education throughout their entire careers in order to better serve the public.

In answer to your question, you could be referring to a property's Bundle of Rights or perhaps even to mineral rights. In addition, there are easement right-of-ways and marital rights. But in the end, you did the right thing by exercising your right to consult with a real estate expert who can not only answer any questions that you may have but to also give you the advantage of their years of experience in safeguarding the rights of consumers including both buyers and sellers.

I hope this helps you and sheds some light on your inquiry. In closing let me state that I am not a one-size-fits-all Realtor, but who knows---maybe I am just right for you!

Stan Trekell, Realtor
Lawrence, Kansas
... more
1 vote 2 answers Share Flag
1 2 3
Search Advice
Home Buying in Popular Cities in Douglas County