Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Detroit : Real Estate Advice

  • All1K
  • Local Info91
  • Home Buying796
  • Home Selling80
  • Market Conditions70

Activity 20
Thu Aug 25, 2016
Saraviamainor asked:
Fri May 8, 2015
garypuntman answered:
I'm trying to find someone as well. I'll have to look into the ones that were suggested. Who did you end up getting? Were they able to complete all the repairs you needed? I have some major repairs I need done and I want to get someone who knows what they are doing.!services/cuy0 ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 4, 2014
Anna M Brocco answered:
Ask people you may know for referrals, perhaps check your local Chamber of Commerce...
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 14, 2014
Ashley Hamilton answered:
Wed Aug 7, 2013
Debra (Debbie) Rose answered:
this may have different meanings depending on where you are in the country, but generally, a "mother/daughter" means there are separate living quarters with a bedroom, bath and possibly a kitchen or kitchenette of some sort......almost like a small apartment. For some, it just may mean a separate sleeping area and bath.

This could be located in the basement or ground level, on an upper level of a home..... or in an attached addition. It may or may not have a separate entrance.

Overall - "Mother/daughter" implies you can live with family, but have a level of privacy.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu May 24, 2012
Haig Istamboulian answered:

Actually it is very easy to do it yourself if you want. You have to go to the local courthouse, where the property is located, and get the documents that you will need in order to do it legally. Ask a clerk there for the documents and they will give them to you, but they will NOT give you legal advice.

Once you get the forms, the form that gets the ball rolling is the Demand for Possession Non-Payment of Rent which requires payment of rent or possession of the premises within seven (7) days (excluding Saturday, Sunday, and legal holidays) after the date of delivery of notice. Yes, you can deliver that document to the tenant yourself.

If you don't feel comfortable in doing that, you can pay the court to serve it for you.After the expiration time on the service of the Seven-Day Notice you may proceed with filing the Complaint for Eviction. You will file the original Complaint with the Clerk at the courthouse. The Court must also receive a copy of the Seven-Day Notice and a copy of the lease. You must also attach a copy of the notice and lease to each copy of the Complaint.

The filing fee is different depending on where you live. After the Complaint is filed the Clerk will issue a Summons. A copy of the Complaint, Seven-Day notice, and lease may be attached for service on the tenant. The clerk will usually offer to arrange for a Deputy Sheriff or a process server for you. If you are doing the serving, you can post the Summons on the Front Door of the property.

The court will notify all parties of the Court Date, usually the earliest possible court date is seven days from from filing, but the average wait will be ten days to two weeks. District court calendars assign certain days to deal with each type of proceeding. Make sure you have all of the monies owed calculated for your day in court; rents' due, late fees, court costs, etc.

Many tenants will not show up for an eviction court date. Some will have moved before the date, many others believe that the outcome is inevitable; either come up with the money or move. If the tenant fails to answer the Summons and show up in court, the landlord may request a Default judgment. The judge will usually grant it.

If the tenant does show up in court, the judge may ask you to state your case and the tenant will be allowed to answer. Provided the proceeding remains confined to a failure to pay rent, the judge will likely proceed with a judgment for rent and possession. The judge may even ask you to arbitrate to work out a payment plan.

That's a quick summary, theres a bit more to it than that, but that should help.

Elias Realty
(248) 379-6547
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 2, 2011
kimik clark answered:
Hi Tammy,

I am unsure if you will be able to obtain a loan with that credit score. However I can provide you with a contact person that may be able to assit you.

Melissa Thoma @ (313) 373-1586 direct you can tell her I sent you, she is really nice!

another option would be to repair your credit, which I specialize in and have been helping people for years. If any of these options work for you don't hesitate to give me a call.

"Everything I touch turns to sold"
Your #1 Realtor, Kimike Clark
Real Estate One
One Heritage Place
Southgate, MI 48195
Office : (734) 284-5400
Cell : (313) 354-5003
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Jul 8, 2011
Karen Paytas answered:

Good Evening!! You have to check with the City to see if it's allowed first of all and then you would need to get the required inspecitons and permits.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon May 9, 2011
Michael Emery answered:
That would be difficult to say as there are many factors involved in pricing out installation of A/C within an existing forced air system. If there isn't enough room in the duct work above the furnace to hold the A frame unit, then there would be an additional cost of new sheet metal. Plus you would have to factor in the size of the existing duct work to determine what size A/C unit you would need and whether or not it's even feasible.

It's best to get two or three estimates before doing the work. Make sure they are licensed in your area to do the work and they will pull any necessary permits.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Mar 26, 2011
1st Class Home Improvement asked:
Wed Sep 15, 2010
Tom Lipinski answered:
Hello Betty,

Back and current taxes are usually addressed on the purchase agreement. It is typical for the seller to pay all delinquent taxes and the buyer to reimburse the unused portion of the current taxes (taxes are due in advance). A delinquent water bill should be paid by the seller and the current water bill should be adjusted to the closing and or possession dates, whichever is later. Here's the big however: all of these items must be addressed on the purchase agreement. The agreement and local statutes govern conflicts. Before you "walk away" get professional legal advice.

Tom Lipinski
Certified Distressed Property Expert
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 15, 2010
FSBOsuccess answered:
If you can't afford to pay for repairs and any back taxes, you should not be buying this home!
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue May 4, 2010
James Gordon ABR SFR SRS answered:
Worst case I can think of quickly is the property is a brown field and you get stuck with the EPA fees.
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 19, 2009
Tony Grech answered:
I know some details of the program, however not sure if any lenders in Michigan are offering it. I know we used to but stopped doing them here. Probably because the typical loan size was very small and the income generated vs. the extreme amount of work to get one closed was pretty paltry.

The guidelines and process is pretty similar to FHA 203k. It can be a nightmare though if the originator is not well versed in the program

Best of luck
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Dec 22, 2008
smith3gary answered:

I would agree that you should verify that the bids you receive are comparing "apples to apples" when comparing bids. In another profession, it was typical for contractors to "lowball" their bids and then make up the money on change orders. Sometimes the contract ended up costing more than twice the original bid price.

i'm not an expert, but I do suggest looking up any contractor on services like the BBB, Angies List, and the State of Michigan website. You might also want to verify they have valid insurance and bonding.

Good Luck
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 6, 2008
Will answered:
Absolutely Damon! We can offer you a renovation loan that would allow you finish the home renovation. I am a renovation specialist with Wells Fargo Home Mortgage.

Will Addo
Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 21, 2008
smith3gary answered:

Yes, glad you understand our conserns as well, if we recommend someone and they steal from you, then we become liable.

You might try Angies List. The site allows consumers to rate professionals that have worked with them. I cannot guarantee accuracy of information. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice