What is today's avg cost to build a small 12x12 ground floor addition, and how much more for it to be 2 floors? 60614 area. Thanks!

Asked by Jls, 60614 Wed Apr 6, 2011

The addition should match our French Country house, built in 1879. Exterior is yellow brick with french windows on the E, S & W sides. Very little wall space - mostly windows. Is it more or less expensive to have french windows on all 3 sides vs brick? By how much?

Thinking this would be a mud room/pet room, with a simple shower area (drain in the floor) for washing pets and large plants, etc. Upstairs would be just a simple room for a small office.

Answers

4
Ross Neag’s answer
Ross Neag, Other Pro, Chicago, IL
Sat May 14, 2011
JLS,

I had a friend who did some of their architect drawings for their build outs and it seemed like they ran a pretty legit operation. What you are paying for is their marketing, overhead, and care of their employees. Its just a larger operation with increased costs. We always recommend to our clients that are building out or undertaking a similar project, hire someone to do the QA or phased inspections. It is SO MUCH EASIER to stop or correct problems before everything is buttoned up. It is truly pennies on the dollar and money well spent, in my opinion and not a plug, to nip any issues in the bud. Projects run smoother, last longer, perform better.
Ross Neag, Other Pro, Chicago, IL
Sun Apr 10, 2011
JLS,

I would budget somewhere in the $150-200 per square foot range for 60614 and the finishes you've described. I'm assuming a slab foundation and not below grade living/useable space. I would urge you, however, to consider a very high performing window if the area is going to be open to the remainder of the house as heat loss at windows is considerably more than insulated wall space. You may also want to throw some electric resistance heat under the floor or tap into any hydronic heat you may have to keep that floor warm. Just my opinion...good luck.
Jls, Home Owner, 60614
Sat May 14, 2011
Thank you Ross, Cindy. We're working on ideas with Airoom right now, as we really like their work we've seen. However, they're prices are higher vs. what we were expecting (well over $200 per sq ft!!) . Any thoughts about Airoom?
Thanks in advance,
JLS
Cindy Wilson, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Apr 8, 2011
You can call my friend and colleague John Morgan of Savane Properties. He builds and renovates high-end homes, and he has another company that does all forms of renovations, additions, etc. He can be reached at 773-327-1234. If you need additional resources, please let me know. I'm happy to provide referrals.

Best of luck,
Cindy Wilson
Koenig & Strey Real Living
1940 N. Clark
312-602-5736
cwilson@koenigstrey.com