Design & Decor in 80112>Question Details

Chad Madlom, Real Estate Pro in Greenwood Village, CO

What home improvement to believe to be a must when someone goes to sell their home?

Asked by Chad Madlom, Greenwood Village, CO Thu Jan 12, 2012

Kitchen and bathrooms seem to be the most important to buyers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 27, 2012
Make it spotless and sparkling.
Don't spend ANY money. You won't get it back.
Price it right or below market instead.

Spending the money MIGHT make it sell quicker, making a broker's job easier, but won't get YOU any more money.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to call if you need help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 13, 2012
I agree that kitchen and bathroom are the most popular. However if you have just one bathroom if the specs allow for an additional bathroom that might be worth doing.
Speak with a contractor.

I agree that the improvements of the bathroom and kitchen are key to getting the best price for a home in the shortest amount of time. Other than that the one major item to consider is de-cluttering the home. I tell my sellers, 'start packing now and convince yourself that you are about to move'. I helps you rather than stressing out at the last minute trying to move. Also when selling a home de-cluttering is important because 'less is more' when it comes to items in the homes.

Robert McGuire ASR
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
I agree that flooring is extremely important and appliances. Appliances can be switched out at affordable prices by purchasing a set at Lowe's or Home Depot and I have found that it is a reasonable investment that almost always sees a return.
The front of the home to me is the most important for first impressions. Make sure your yard is immaculate and your front door sparkles. If your front door is not in good shape, consider putting on a new door. Inside the home, fresh paint and new carpet does wonders.
This depends on the Home, the price of home, and many other factors including comps. A staged home shows better and kitchens and bathrooms are the most important. Curb Appeal is very important. I dont think you can answer this unless you see the home and the homes you are up against.
If you have it professionaly staged and cleaned that will go a very long way. Keep it uncluttered and spotless. Take care of all the dings, scratches and chips.
This may seem elementary but most do not prepare prior to sale.
Much depends on what recent improvements have already been made, the selling price range in the area and the local neighborhood, and a target price range the seller has in mind. Hope this helps. Ed
In this market with money tight - it is best to deal with "first impression" makers. If the home has a lot of decks or wood on the exterior - pressure clean the wood so that it looks almost new again. The home owner can even do this themselves by renting a pressure washer - or you can hire someone - either way it's a very affordable immediate improvement. Paint and flooring are two other things people notice right away - hopefully just a touch up and a carpet clean will do the trick. Other no cost items involve removing the clutter and over-sized pieces of furniture along with excess pictures on the wall. Best of luck.
Web Reference:
The kitchen and bathroom bring the best return on your investment.
I think this all depends on how dated the property is, and what their budget is. Sellers can do simple improvements like paint, and have carpets cleaned, or update cabinet pulls, light fixtures and door hardware. Or...they can go all out and do re-do flooring, kitchens, baths, etc.