What has a higher resale value? Hardwood or tile (for living areas)

Asked by Lovemyhome, San Ramon, CA Tue Jan 12, 2010

We are trying to decide between hardwood floor or tile floor (a nice looking one) for the first floor of our house. We slightly favor tile because you don't have to worry about scratching it but wonder if for resale value it's better to do hardwood. We are located in CA, East Bay

Answers

92
Bernard Gibb…, Agent, Danville, CA
Wed Jan 13, 2010
I sold my home in San Ramon last year with multiple offers. We had tile throughout the living areas and kitchen (ceramic tile that looked like distresed saltillo tile) and everybody loved it.

But it really fit in with the design and decor of the rest of the home.

You really have to consider the overall impression. Some people will always prefer tile, some will prefer hardwood. As Dave says, everybody hates laminate.

If you go for tile, remember that you don't get too many second chances when you drop a wine glass on a tile floor.

Buy the floor that looks best in your home.

Bernard Gibbons

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bernard Gibbons, Realtor, e-PRO Certified Internet Specialist, DRE License # 01331583
J. Rockcliff Realtors, 15 Railroad Avenue, Danville, CA 94526
Phone (925) 997-1585
bernard@bernardgibbons.com

See all homes for sale in Contra Costa and Alameda Counties
at http://www.BernardGibbons.com
I would definitely have to say hardwood, because not only is it more popular of the two. Hardwood is also more modern and it gives the home a very appealing look. I know you would prefer a nice looking tile because you don't have to worry about scratches, but as far as looks go, I believe most people prefer hardwood. Do you ever watch the renovation reality shows, such as Flip This House, Love It or List It or Rehab Addict? In every renovation they pick hardwood. There are hardwood floors that don't scratch easily, and now there's also a scratch repair kit for hardwood floors.
http://www.abccoolrooms.com/installation
Flag Mon Nov 17, 2014
I think it depends on the area in which you live. I would call around to real estate agents in your area and see what they recommend and suggest. They will probably have the best idea of what has a higher resale value. Good luck and I hope you find everything you need! http://www.boylesflooringinc.com/tile-and-stone
Flag Tue Nov 11, 2014
I could not agree with Bernard more. It really just depends on the look and feel of your home. It also depends on the buyer because each one is different and has different preferences. I would do as Bernard suggests and buy the one that looks best in your home. Good luck! http://www.internationalceramics.com.au
Flag Tue Sep 2, 2014
Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Mon Feb 11, 2013
In my experience the Houses with tile floor are preferred by home buyers because it is easy to keep it clean and keeps the property cool.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

Century 21 Tenace

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
I think in Florida tile is king but up north and California hardwood seems to be the choice. check out local (similar) homes to yours. if you're looking to sell, go with what is popular in the area you're in, if you're staying.. get what you like!
Flag Sat Apr 11, 2015
Todd Andrew, Agent, Berkeley, CA
Tue Jan 19, 2010
Hi Lovemyhome,

Quite a few good answers to this one. I can say definitively hardwood floors are the choice around here with the older homes we have. I've seen some remodeling jobs where tile was used, and it doesn't really work from an aesthetic standpoint, especially if you're talking about living rooms. I think tile works better in the newer homes you have in your neck of the woods but, when you go to sell, if you're not staging it, leave one of your area rugs to warm it up a bit. Area rugs are nice with hardwood floors, too, of course, but the wood already has a warmer "feel" than most tile.

In order to avoid scratches with wood, put felt pads on the legs of furniture that is moved frequently; remove your shoes when you enter your house; and keep it as clean as you can... a pretty big order if you have kids or pets. When it needs a good once-over, you may not need to sand.... friends and clients of mine have had good luck with http://www.joysfloors.com. Lots of good info there about wood floors, too.

Enjoy your home!
Diane Valin, , West Hartford, CT
Tue Jan 19, 2010
They each have their plusses. The main lving areas I would include in your question would be the living room, dining room, den/family room, bedrooms, kitchen. The area of the country also dictates higher resale value. Here in the northeast, hardwood floors (not veneer but true hardwood) are highly valued in all living areas listed above, though depending on the property, not always in the kitchen. Tile, not linoleum, is generally expected in a kitchen, but in some higher end homes, hardwood in the kitchen is very appealing, valued, and warmer underfoot. Area rugs that pick up colors in the room look wonderful on top of hardwood or tile, and soften and warm the colder, harder tile surface, if tile is used outside the kitchen. However, in warm locations or in sandy locations such as near a beach, tile is preferable in all living areas because it is easy to sweep clean, doesn't scratch when sand gets tracked in, and is cooler underfoot in the wamer climates. Grout will darken from dirt, so either use grout sealer to delay it or use a darker color that coordinates with the tile but hides the dirt. If I were you, I would take this information and speak to a few experienced, local real estate agents or home stagers, asking their opinion as to what is most common and what gets the most resale value in your particular area or neighborhood. By the way, here in my location in the northeast, I have hardwood in all rooms but the bathrooms. Minor scratches do occur, but there are no deep gouges or anything like that. They wear wonderfully with a good 3 coats of polyurethane and being real wood (not veneered) they can be resanded a number of times over time, if needed.
Marston Myers, , Brandon, FL
Wed Jan 13, 2010
Your choice should not depend on resale value or saleability, but what YOU want. You will be living with it for years so you should not compromise on what YOU place value on. Either way, you will attract buyers to one or the other based on THEIR preferences. The style and location of the home make a huge difference. A CA buyer is MUCH different than a VA buyer, yes? Many homes in our area have gone to all three choices depending on area of the home. Large tile for entry, kitchen and baths. Hardwood or Laminate (better choice for durability) in Family Room/Bonus Room and W/W carpet halls and beds.

Bottom line, choose what YOU would look for in a home when looking and ENJOY!
Web Reference:  http://aprpconline.com
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Wed Jan 13, 2010
It’s not an issue of value, its all about “salability.” In this area, the majority of buyers prefer genuine hardwood floors to tile. Will hardwood floors increase the value of the home over tile? Probably not. And remember that tile options range from cheap porcelain to very expensive marble – value obviously differs depending on the quality of the product on the floor. Laminate flooring such as Pergo does not have the same appeal as real hardwood.

Back to salability: if two homes are side-by-side and identical EXCEPT one has tile and the other has hardwood – in my experience, buyers will go with the home with hardwood floors. In the home with tile floors, they frequently ask me the cost of replacing the floors with other options.
.
Doug Buenz &…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Wed Jan 13, 2010
From my experience, definitely hardwood. Most popular right now is wide plank or random plank flooring in darker colors. Distressed finishes are also very popular right now. Tile is best for kitchens & baths, and perhaps foyers. The larger the tile the better. Natural stones, especially tumbled stones, seem to be in right now.

Just be careful about over improving your home: http://www.680homes.com/blog/2009/07/14/cost-does-not-equal-value/

Doug Buenz, Broker
The 680 Group at Alain Pinel Realtors
((25) 463-2000
Web Reference:  http://www.680homes.com/
Tricia Klocke, , Myrtle Beach, SC
Sun Feb 10, 2013
Ever considered tile that looks like wood? Lowes has a sale right now.
http://www.lowes.com/Wood-Look-Tile/_/N-1z0y8zw/pl I live on the water, and am considering this because of the humidity. You would sacrifice that "softness" that wood has under you feet.
Ronda Dacus, Agent, Denton County, TX
Tue Jan 19, 2010
Such a popular question! Lots of great answers too. To stick to the question of higher resale value, I agree a *quality* hardwood is the way to go...however, how much use a flooring gets really does have to factor into the decision...kids? dogs? Whichever you choose, just make sure you select a very durable and QUALITY product that fits the overall style of the home. Good luck!
Pamela Franc…, Agent, South Lake Tahoe, CA
Tue Jan 19, 2010
I think living in the East Bay, where I happened to have grown up, there were more traditional style homes with hardwood floors. If you are going to keep the house for a few years, use what makes you happy .If you are going to put the house on the market in the near future, I would make that decision based on the architecture and style of your home. I have hardwood floors, live in Lake Tahoe, I have dogs and the scratches add character to our floors. Our floors are knotty rough hewn hickory wide planks, not clear maple or soft pine.
Web Reference:  http://www.SoTahoe.com
Jacqueline D…, Agent, BELLINGHAM, WA
Tue Jan 19, 2010
Hardwood are very popular and home buyers are preferring them compared to the tile. Tile has been in for a while and the difference is the warmth and cozy look of the wood flooring. Also, tile has the problem with the grout and needs to be re-grouted in a few years if the wear has been great. Hardwood floors last for years with proper cleaning and if they become badly scratched in time it is easily remedied with a hardwood sander and varnish. Make sure you choose the solid hardwood and not a veneered type of flooring. Tile goes great in the hotter climates. Good luck and I am sure that what ever you choose your floors will look appealing. Resale value--hardwoods!
John and Pam…, Agent, Winchester, TN
Tue Jan 19, 2010
Hardwood is usually better for resale. Tile is very easy to break or crack. Something we have done that seems to work is to place tile around the edges and a cross shape in the middle with the hardwood between the tiles. It breaks the floor up and is very attractive. If you are interested in a photo describing what I mean, please feel free to email me at PamPeck@CENTURY21.com and I will send you a photo.

Thank you for your question!!!

Have a Blessed night
John & Sarah…, Agent, Redmond, WA
Tue Jan 19, 2010
I would say that most buyers typically prefer hardwood floors in a living space versus tile. Good Luck!
Paula K. Jon…, , Edmond, OK
Tue Jan 19, 2010
Hardwood flooring in living is definitely preferred flooring in central Oklahoma at this time.
Lisa Garcia, , Lancaster, PA
Tue Jan 19, 2010
Absolutely depends on the area of the country you live in. Here in PA, its definitely hardwood! In South Texas where its hot, hot, hot and most homes do not have basements, tile is definitley preferred by buyers. Call up a local realtor and ask their opinion or search high end homes online and see what seems to sell! My guess would be hardwood...
Laura Renee…, , Friendswood, TX
Tue Jan 19, 2010
It all depends upon where the house is located and the quality of the flooring.

In areas with warmer climates it is better to have tile because it is cooler than wood. In cooler areas the wood is warmer. So ask yourself, "Would I rather be walking on wood or tile most of the year?" Of course tile can have a heating pad underlaid which would then make it warm even in the coldest of weather an dadd to the value of the home.

Wood is very attractive, however, it can scratch. SO if you have big dogs or young children (with toys that can scratch the foor) it can be better to use tile since you don't have problems like this. I have even seen women's heels and rocking chairs leave marks in antique hardwood floors!

If you decide to install tile just be aware of the grout you select. Darker grout doesn't show dirt as easliy as lighter tile, but it can still stain. Just be sure to use a good sealer. And tile can chip! A dropped coffee cup or can good can leave a permanent flaw or even crack a tile. Be sure to look at the tile you select. It is best if the color of the backing is similar to the color of the tile since then if there is a chip it isn't glaring. Better yet, use stone, it is the same all the way through. Just be sure to seal it. And have it professionally done. It will generally be guaranteed for many years and it is definitely worth the money.

Lora Davis, Agent, Driggs, ID
Tue Jan 19, 2010
Certainly in our mountain resort area hardwood would be the best choice. Tile floors can be too cold for our climate unless in-floor heat is used. The hardwood also adds to the rustic feel of many of our properties.
Johnathan Mu…, Agent, Flagstaff, AZ
Tue Jan 19, 2010
Hardwood even though tile is so much easier to take care of. But best of all it's not CARPET.
Bob Georgiou, Agent, Danville, CA
Wed Jan 13, 2010
Lovemyhome,

The infromation, generally form others, good. To highlight it depends on the decor of your home and the quality of the materials used. Travertine tiles will generally add more value than wood, depending on the decor of your home but if your home is tiny and has a lot of nooks the gradeur of the travertine will be lost and wood will be a better choice, for example. If the same owner decided wood was the best, dark wood in small homes make them feel dark if not porperly lit.

I generally advise people to talk to designers on these matters. In our area there are many good ones who can provide assistance. Make some calls and do phone inverviews. See if you can find one at a modest cost who can serve whatever level of service you like. (From the low end where you pick materials and colors and you pay for their input to help with finishes to the full service where they pick colros and materials based on your construction budget.)There are so many colors of tiles and woods that proper finish selection is curcial.
Web Reference:  http://bob2sell.com
Sunil Sethi, Agent, Fremont, CA
Wed Jan 13, 2010
Now a days a you can get great laminates at a fraction of the price of hardwood, which offer greater durability, and when you resell, you'll get your money back plus some. People prefer hardwoods over laminates, but they don't like to pay for them. Which means you won't get the full investment back.

A nice large tile can also be nice, but they make a home colder, and are harder on the feet.

If you want some advice on where to buy at a great price, let me know.

-sunil

SUNIL SETHI REAL ESTATE

Sunil Sethi / Broker, President, REALTOR, MBA / SUNIL SETHI REAL ESTATE
38750 Paseo Padre Pwky Suite B3 / Fremont, CA 94536
Main 510 200 0505 / Cell 510 388 2436 / Fax 510 431 9046
My Bio: http://sunilsethi.com/about_me.htm
My blog: http://fremontrealestate.blogspot.com/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/fremontrealtor
CA DRE#: 01173766
Web Reference:  http://www.sunilsethi.com
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Jan 13, 2010
Hi Lovemyhome

My vote is for hardwood - it's the safe route to go, and everyone seems to want it these days, even in kitchens (my personal preference is for tile in the kitchen, but I seem to be in the minority)

I find it amusing that 40 years ago, the builders (in this area, anyway) included hardwood floors as part of the base price in their homes. Most people back then immediately covered the hardwood with wall-to-wall carpeting. That was "in" back then. The good news is, when selling a 40 year old house, that still has the w/w carpeting, the floors under the w/w are usually pristine, and have never been walked on!

My only suggestion is to go with "real" hardwood, not pergo or any other laminate.

Rouriel Noub…, Both Buyer And Seller, San Ramon, CA
Tue Jan 12, 2010
Tile is much cheaper than a real hardwood floor. Go to homedepot and check both price with installation.
Pellinistone, Home Buyer, San Ramon, CA
Sat Feb 25, 2017
If you are looking to add great value to your home then choose Pellini Stone travertine tiles for interior applications and Pellini Stone Pavers for all exterior projects such as pool decks, walkways, patios, driveways to add that elegance and timeless beauty.Visit us now and enjoy premium quality with factory direct pricing.

Pellini Stone is quarry direct travertine tile and travertine importer from company serving entire United States with same day shippings.
Web Reference:  http://www.pellinistone.com
Sam Shueh, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Mon Jan 30, 2017
unlikely to have a difference. It is a question of taste since prices are about the same.
Sam Shueh, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Wed Dec 21, 2016
About the same. I personally think those kitchen, laundary rooms with hardwood floor. Home owners asked for the trouble.

Sam Shueh
Campbell, CA
Sam Shueh, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Mon Nov 21, 2016
Travertine or mohagany. That is your choice.
T.g. Mcgee, Home Buyer, Pacifica, CA
Sun Oct 23, 2016
In coastal Texas hardwoods can't be glued down, which means the installation on the nail/screw down solid hardwood is very expensive to install. Engineered hardwood can be glued to the slab but the wear layer and hardness of the wood are most important. Most engineered hardwood flooring has a very thin 2 mm wear layer. It, like laminate, can not be refinished. Laminate is generally more inexpensive than glue down engineered hardwood flooring. Laminate, installed on a floating floor, is cheaper to rip out if it gets wet than glue down engineered hardwood. Tile starts to look bad after about 8 -10 years regardless of how clean you keep the floor. Grout just gets gross. However, if you have flooding, as we do on the gulf coast... the tile does not have to be replaced even if you had a foot of water in your house. It is the most durable product. The plank look tiles have justified edges typically, so have a smaller grout line. Go with a medium color grout. Dark grout shows white spots and stains from mop water/ cleaners and light grout will be disgusting within 2 years. I hate grout, but in worst case you can just restain the grout to make it look like new. Generally a grout brush combined with vinegar and soda will clean any grout, but it is a lot of work and the sealers are inferior products, which don't really protect from dirty, dirty grout. Cork is a popular material here, but I can't believe it would be very durable. Some people go with concrete epoxy but I think that looks better in industrial/urban settings.
Theviperqueen, Home Buyer, Livonia, MI
Sat Apr 2, 2016
It depends resale-wise,because different people like different things&you never know what people will be looking for,when they're considering a home. But if it's just for yourself&you plan to live there a while,go with what you like best,for now. Just my thoughts.
Arpad Racz, Agent, San Jose, CA
Wed Jan 6, 2016

Hardwood still seems to be the most popular choice as far as I have seen.

Arpad
Mshellyk, Home Buyer, San Ramon, CA
Wed Jan 6, 2016
Hardwood shrinks and swells with the climate, it scratches, cracks, creeks, wears down and has to be refinished and you CAN NOT GET IT WET!! Porcelain Woodlook tiles are amazing natural "looking" wood pieces. They have amazing to real life detail, and most people do not even know they are walking on a porcelain tile. Once down you never have to do any maintenance as you would have to do on a real wood floor, and most importantly you can get them wet, dish washer leaks no problem!! In fact porcelain woodlook tiles are now being installed in places where real wood would have never been able to go such as the kitchens, bathrooms and even the showers!!! However, f you want the best quality flooring, you should do a Natural stone such as Travertine. Travertine is very strong, its a rock! Travertine is timeless and beautiful. It comes in many many different colors sizes and patterns. It will never go out of style and it is very versatile. Travertine adds more value to your home just like Granite or crown molding will. Porcelain woodlooks, Travertine stone are all very affordable in comparison to natural hard wood, in fact I would dare to say that in the long run with future maintenance of a hard wood floor would be far more expensive.
Michael Malo…, , 42140
Sun May 24, 2015
I think you shouldn't worry too much about the resale value being affected and more about what you like. You can always have certain rooms in a certain flooring and others in a different one. Or keep the tiles in storage for now so you can decide later!
Johtrules, Home Buyer, San Ramon, CA
Sat May 9, 2015
Simple answer: If you live in Cold places (below zero temp) like Chicago, New York, Boston etc go for Hardwood. If you live in Hot or Humid places like Houston, Dallas, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego go for Tiles Ceramic in Bedrooms and Glazed Porcelain in Living, Kitchen area. The resale value is MUCH higher than your install and materials costs. NEVER CONSIDER LAMINATE..Except for rental properties..
About me: Relator for 25 years, lived in MA, CA, IL, TX and FL.
Robert J. RA…, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Wed Apr 29, 2015
It would all depend on the overall style and theme of your home. Additionally, the preference of the potential buyer and the quality of the material selected. I would recommend wood and more specifically a hand scarped, 3/4 inch thickness to it. Perhaps the Autumn/Maple Stain.
Paige Smith, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Mon Apr 13, 2015
I have also been thinking about redesigning my floors. Although I am not sure if hardwood or tile would be a better resale value, tile is less likely to be scratched. If you are planning on selling your home again, I would do some research with maybe an estate planning attorney?

http://www.vanblk.com/PracticeAreas/TrustEstateEstatePlanning
rovanton, , Cape Coral, FL
Sun Apr 12, 2015
Go with hardwood and keep it clean.
Susan Gay, Home Buyer, Vidor, TX
Sat Apr 11, 2015
Go to some real estate site of homes for sale in your area and look at the pictures and days on the market. How many have wood and how many have tile? How long has each been on the market. Call a local realtor and ask what sells best in your area. Look at your own home décor. Is it modern, country, or early American? Do you have a modern style house or a ranch? I do think that tile is more durable and done in a diamond is more beautiful. I just went into contract b/c the woman liked my laminate floor in the den. You never know what will appeal to a buyer, but there is a buyer that will like what you have done no matter which type floor you install.
PIFA, Home Buyer, Upland, CA
Sat Apr 11, 2015
Well bought my home 2 years ago and it had nice tile and bad carpet. I ripped them out bought wood for downstairs and new carpet up. Love the place now. Wood makes it look and feel modern and warm. Unless you got some dog that will ruin it I say wood is the way to go. Even with a dog cut his nails and make sure you clean up his messes asap then wood still will work.
Arpad Racz, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sat Apr 11, 2015

Hardwood is still Very popular.

Kind regards,

Arpad
Beverly, Both Buyer And Seller, Anchorage, AK
Sat Apr 11, 2015
Personally i prefer WOOD flooring because I feel that it gives a "warmer" feeling in the home that is unless you are in Hawaii or a state or country that has alot of sand then i would choose tile which ever way you go people should NOT ever wear SHOES inside of their homes! ;-)

Bevie in ALASKA

P.S. Up here in ALASKA we have SILT verse dirt and to get that into your carpeting would completely DESTROY your carpeting and your investment!! Blessings!! 11th April 2015... 9a.m. @ 44* out!!
Curious Pers…, Home Buyer, Metairie, LA
Sat Apr 11, 2015
Flooring and painting is up to the BUYER and their view of what they think they like best. So use your intuition and factor it all together and negotiate your best deal.
Sandra Benne…, Home Buyer, Pennsylvania
Sat Apr 11, 2015
I did best of both worlds. I did a tile that looked like mahogany wood. It's great for animals. Looks like wood but you don't have to maintain it like wood. People are amazed it's not wood.
Rose Ross, Home Buyer, Cocoa, FL
Sat Apr 11, 2015
Depending on your location. Cold weather Hardwood is warmer, warmer weather place tile is cooler.
Every flipper and rental is done in tile in Florida. Very hard on your legs and feet much like concrete. Seeing a place done in bamboo or wood flooring is a lovely change and much easier on your legs and feet.
Flag Sat Apr 11, 2015
Karen and Pa…, Agent, Cameron Park, CA
Wed Apr 1, 2015
You really can't go wrong with either. It's all about personal preference. Both have pros and cons for any family. It more about avoid old outdated flooring. Red shag carpet or vinyl flooring won't do well in today's market. If you are selling, keep it neutral and good looking. Avoid putting in cheap looking material. You don't want the buyers to have to tear out what you just put in, their price they offer will reflect that.
Caleb Hart, Renter, Orem, UT
Fri Jan 30, 2015
I agree that the type of flooring has to go with the flow of the house. There are a lot of buyers out there that have a certain idea of how things should be decorated. Some buyers will love tile and others will hate it. It all comes down to who is interested in the house and what they like. http://naplesflooringgallery.com/
Jennifer Fiv…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Wed Jan 14, 2015
Based on what consumers are saying hardwood seem to be their first choice
Arpad Racz, Agent, San Jose, CA
Wed Jan 14, 2015

Most of the buyers I work with prefer hardwood.

Kind regards,

Arpad
Derrick Sly, Home Buyer, Albuquerque, NM
Wed Jan 14, 2015
I've often wondered myself. I want to have a floor I can dance on, so hardwood seems to be the best option. Tile is just a little too scrape-prone for most shoes. I need something I could heel slide across or spin without any difficulty. I'm not building a dance studio, I just like to dance with my wife in the kitchen.
https://www.arttileco.net/services.html
Mark Leach, Home Buyer, Pine Bluff, AR
Thu Nov 13, 2014
I have also been wondering this exact same thing. Although, I am wondering if I should go with marble or granite? Both are luxurious and from the outside they seem to be pretty much the same. what are the pros and cons of each?
Mark Leach | http://tuosogno.com/products/terra-tile-marble/
Sunil Sethi, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun Feb 10, 2013
I think people love an attractive wood flooring and now you can get laminate that looks great for about $1.35/sqft and have it installed for about $1.25/sqft which will cost you a lot less than installing tile. However people prefer to have tile in the kitchen, dining, laundry and entry areas.

Really put some thought into how the materials transitions, avoid trip hazards.

If you are in an affluent area consider using travertine, it can be gotten for almost the same price as an attractive porcelean tile, and offers superior, thermal and acoustic properties.

Good luck on your sale.

Sunil Sethi
Sunil Sethi Real Estate
Web Reference:  http://sunilsethi.com/
Bonnie Cisse…, Agent, Lake Havasu City, AZ
Sun Feb 10, 2013
Here is Lake Havasu the preferred flooring is tile. Easy to maintain and cool for our warm summer months!
1 2