Question Details

Mike, Home Buyer in Santa Clara, CA

Tile vs carpet vs hardwood floor vs laminated for a new home Need suggestion for living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom

Asked by Mike, Santa Clara, CA Mon Sep 26, 2011

Hi, As we bought a new town home from KB home in fremont , we are planning to decide among these options
Hardwood floor vs Laminated floor vs Carpet vs Tile vs Vinyl.
Can you please input your thoughts in selecting these floors
a) Kitchen
b) Living & Dining room
c) Bed room
d) bathroom.

Please provide your suggestions for every room separately with advantages and disadvantages which will help us alot in deciding the flooring.Planning to rent this property after 5 yrs so looking from maintenance point of view.

Hello Mike,
Tile flooring is ceramic tiles cemented together by grout where you can be creative in your design. Vinyl flooring is laid out in sheets or squares and pieced together by glue.

Vinyl flooring can rip or tear and tile may crack or chip but tile is easier to care for. Most buyers prefer tile flooring as it's considered an upgrade over vinyl flooring.

Hope that clarifies.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 26, 2011
I think it just depends on personal preference! I would go and see all of the different types of material and see what you like. It's really up to you and what you like. This should help you figure out what's best for you and your home!
Flag Mon Feb 9, 2015
Check with the other homes in the area and do not stray too far from the norm.
Vinyl is probably one of the cheaper options when it comes to flooring. And, there are some cool vinyl tiling options that look like fancier tiles. It all depends on what kind of things that you get. Personally, I like knowing that I don't have to freak out about scratches or damage since vinyl is inexpensive to fix.
Hardwood floors are a good option if you are careful about where you install them. They don't do well in moist environments, so stick with bedrooms and family rooms. They do need special cleaning, but it isn't as bad as it sounds, especially if you get it installed right, with a good finish on it. If you want the wood look in the kitchen or bathroom, you can get vinyl that looks almost exactly the same, but without the possibility for damage.
Flooring can be a really hard thing to decide upon. Hopefully you used something like wood, tile or vinyl for your kitchen because that will be easiest for spills and messes. the other four locations of the house really depends on what you think would go nice. I would keep in mind that the walls should match the floor somehow.

Zach |
My first house my wife and I bought had ugly vinyl floor throughout the house. For this reason I will never have vinyl flooring again, nor recommend it to anyone. I know that tile is a step up from vinyl. It depends on the buyer of your home when you sell it, but it could be seen as a plus if your home as tile versus vinyl. That can't be said for all buyers but it's true for a lot.
What is difference between vinyl and tile and which one would be preferred
Hi Mike,
I suggest:
Kitchen: use tile as spills are easier to clean up. Hardwood floors in the kitchen might show wear and tear too quickly.

Living Room & Dining Room: most buyers prefer hardwood flooring. They add their own area rugs to reduce the noise and add color that ties in with their furnishings.

Bedroom: could be hardwood or carpeting but if you plan on renting the home out later, then the carpet may suffer more wear and need replacing sooner than later.

Bathroom: definitely tile due to all the water usage.

And, I do not suggest mixing hardwood and laminate flooring within the various rooms of the home. Choose one or the other; not both.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
I have grown to hate tile: Particularly exacerbated by my bad feet.
We had Pergo (laminate) and absolutely loved it, and that included an overflow in the laundry room.

I would recommend Laminate everywhere but the Master. The Master should have nice think carpet.

Good luck and may God bless
I would not use wood here, although I love the way it looks, the kitchen takes too much wear and tear for a wood floor to hold up for very long. There is also the water factor. I would use tile in the kitchen. Tile also easy to clean.
Living and Dining room, can have hardwood, use area rugs to soften the look
Bedrooms are nice with carpet, or hardwood
Bathrooms use tile again..its best for an area that gets lots of water.